Maximum Potential and Charge of Generator

In summary, a Van de Graaff generator with a radius of 86.0 cm standing in air has a maximum potential of 2.58 * 10^6 V. When substituted into the equation for electric potential, this results in a charge of 0.000247 C. However, the given answer may be incorrect and further attempts are being made to find the correct value.
123yt

Homework Statement

A Van de Graaff generator is used to demonstrate the effects of high potential. The device has a radius of 86.0 cm and stands in air. What is its maximum potential? (Note: An electric field of 3 × 106 Vm is sufficiently large to cause sparking in air.)

How much charge does the dome hold at its maximum potential?

Homework Equations

Electric Potential = (1/4*pi*e0) * q / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the maximum potential to be 2.58 * 10^6 V.

For the charge: I substituted 2.58 * 10^6 V into the equation along with the radius.

2.58 * 10^6 V * 4 * pi * e0 * 0.86 m = q
q = 0.000247 C

This wasn't the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I too got the same answer. The answer given might be wrong. What's it anyways?

I don't know yet. I have about 3 more tries left.

I entered the answer as 0.00025. Could the problem be with my significant figures?

EDIT: Nope, significant figures aren't the problem. 2 tries left.

Last edited:
lol... where are you trying them?
Try to answer in scientific notation.

I did. It still won't work. I probably got the completely wrong answer.

Your answer is right according to me. I have no idea why it is showing wrong.

FAQ: Maximum Potential and Charge of Generator

1. What is the maximum potential of a generator?

The maximum potential of a generator refers to the highest voltage or electric potential that can be produced by the generator. This is typically measured in volts (V) and is determined by the size and design of the generator.

2. How is the maximum potential of a generator calculated?

The maximum potential of a generator is calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the generator's coils by the strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the generator is rotating. This is known as Faraday's Law of Induction.

3. What factors affect the maximum potential of a generator?

The maximum potential of a generator can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coils, the speed of rotation, and the type of conductor used in the coils. Additionally, the design and efficiency of the generator can also impact the maximum potential.

4. What is the charge of a generator?

The charge of a generator refers to the amount of electric charge that can be produced by the generator. This is typically measured in coulombs (C) and is dependent on the maximum potential and the capacitance of the generator.

5. How is the charge of a generator related to the maximum potential?

The charge of a generator is directly proportional to the maximum potential. This means that as the maximum potential increases, so does the amount of electric charge that can be produced by the generator. The relationship between charge and potential is described by Coulomb's Law.