Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables?

In summary, the problem asks for a function that is differentiable at a point z0 and continuous at z0 = x0 + iy0. The student is lost on how to apply the mean-value theorem to a two-variable function.
Hodgey8806
I am studying a problem that want's me to show that differentiable function at z0 is continuous at z0 = x0 + iy0.
It hints to use the mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables. But I can't find any true applicable one on the web. I searched the book with no theorem so named either. May I see the form it takes compared to the mean-value theorem of single variables? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I can think is that if you consider a path connecting two points, [tex] \gamma(t)[/tex], and a two dimensional function [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] you can apply the mean value theorem to [tex]f(\gamma(t))[/tex]

A two dimensional problem would be a good version if you were suggesting to different versions. Is there a theorem of the form similar to mean-value theorem for single variable functions?

Hodgey8806 said:
A two dimensional problem would be a good version if you were suggesting to different versions.

I don't understand what you mean by this

Sorry, I'm not sure how to word it exactly. I'm really lost on how to use the mean value theorem for a two-variable functions.

I could give you the problem if you'd rather see it. Thanks for your help

Does your function map (x,y) to a real number? If so, here is a useful theorem for you:

Let A be open in R^m. Let f: A -> R be a differentiable function on A. If A contains the line segment with end points a and a + h, then there is a point c = a + th with 0 < t < 1 of this line segment such that f(a + h) - f(a) = Df(c) * h

I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure how to really apply it to this problem.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules of this forum with this piece, but the problem says:

Let f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) be differentiable at z0. Show that u and v are continuous at z0 = x0 + iy0. Hint: Use the mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables.

I don't exactly know what it is looking for me to do in this problem. Thanks!

FAQ: Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables?

1. What is the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables?

The Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables is a theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous function defined on a closed and bounded region in the plane, there exists at least one point in the region where the instantaneous rate of change of the function in both directions is equal to the average rate of change in those directions.

2. How is the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables different from the one-variable case?

The Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables is an extension of the one-variable Mean-value theorem, where the instantaneous rate of change in both x and y directions is considered. In the one-variable case, the instantaneous rate of change is only considered in the x direction.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables?

The Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables can be interpreted geometrically as stating that there exists a point in the region where the tangent plane is parallel to the secant plane passing through the endpoints of the region. This point is known as the mean point or the mean-value point.

4. What are some applications of the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables?

The Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to partial differential equations, to analyze the behavior of fluids in motion, and to approximate functions using linear models.

5. Can the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Mean-value theorem for functions of two real variables can be extended to functions of n variables, where n is any positive integer. In higher dimensions, the theorem states that there exists a point where the gradient of the function is parallel to the secant hyperplane passing through the endpoints of the region.