What is the method for calculating velocities in a perfectly elastic collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 1kg ball falls through a height of 1.2m and collides with a 1.5kg ball at rest. The collision is perfectly elastic and the goal is to find the velocities of both balls after the collision. By using the equation mgh=1/2mv^2, the initial velocity of the 1kg ball is found to be 4.85m/s. The use of Newton's law of restitution and conservation of kinetic energy leads to a second equation which, when solved, gives the velocities of both balls after the collision. The final answer is obtained by using the equation e=(v1-v2)/(u2-u1).
stupif
1. a 1kg ball traverse a frictionless tube. the ball after falling through a height of 1.2m, strikes a1.5kg ball which initially at rest. find the velocities of the two balls, if the collision is perfectly elastic. V1= -0.97m/s V2= 3.88m/s

2. i found out the initial velocity of 1kg ball
mgh = 1/2mv^2
1(9.81)1.2= 1/2(1)v^2
v= 4.85m/s

after that, i use mu+mu = mv+mv
1(4.85)+ 1.5(0)= 1v +1.5v2

after that, what should i do to get the answer?
help me...please...

Physics news on Phys.org
In a perfectly elastic collision KE is also conserved. This gives you a second equation in the two unknowns (velocities of the balls after collision).

what u mean?
but i use Newton's law of restitution to get the answer.
e=(v1-v2)/(u2-u1)

-4.85=v1-v2---------second equation
and i finally get the answer.

Related to What is the method for calculating velocities in a perfectly elastic collision?

5 Frequently Asked Questions About Momentum and Collision

Q: What is momentum?

A: Momentum is a property of a moving object that is determined by its mass and velocity. It describes the quantity of motion an object has.

Q: How is momentum calculated?

A: Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v.

Q: What is the law of conservation of momentum?

A: The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved in a collision, and no momentum is lost during the interaction.

Q: What is an elastic collision?

A: An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

Q: How does momentum affect collisions?

A: Momentum plays a crucial role in collisions. The greater the momentum of an object, the more force it will exert on another object during a collision, resulting in a larger change in velocity. This is why larger and heavier objects tend to cause more damage in collisions.