Late Dennis Ritchie: Creator of C Programming Language

In summary, Dennis Ritchie, the creator of the C programming language, passed away on October 8th. He was often compared to Richard Feynman and known for his collaboration with Ken Thompson. Ritchie's colleagues praised his work and personal character, and many have expressed their sadness at his passing. Some members of the forum also shared their personal connections to Ritchie and his work, including owning copies of his book, "The C Programming Language."
Jimmy Snyder
Dennis Ritchie died on the 8th, but I didn't find out until today. He created the C programming language.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/10/dennis-ritchie/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy sorry for this loss. The tech world creators are getting hit real hard lately.

was he the one that hacked the password authentication backdoor into the compiler so that it didn't show in the source code?

Proton Soup said:
was he the one that hacked the password authentication backdoor into the compiler so that it didn't show in the source code?

would that have been something like Richard Feynman leaving notes in a safe saying your security system sucks (paraphrase.)

Lacy33 said:
would that have been something like Richard Feynman leaving notes in a safe saying your security system sucks (paraphrase.)

ok, i got over my laziness. it was thompson, not ritchie, but apparently I'm not the only one to make that mistake.

http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2007/04/strange_loops_dennis_ritchie_a.php
http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

also, a blurb from the above about Ritchie:
That brings me to Dennis Ritchie. Our collaboration has been a thing of beauty. In the ten years that we have worked together, I can recall only one case of miscoordination of work. On that occasion, I discovered that we both had written the same 20-line assembly language program. I compared the sources and was astounded to find that they matched character-for-character. The result of our work together has been far greater than the work that we each contributed.

Dennis Ritchie is the Feynman of Computer science.
My wife has colleagues who have worked with him. Years back, I was told by them that Dennis Ritchie is one of the nicest people to ever work with.

RIP Dennis.

Sad news indeed.

We should start a poll now - how many of PFers can see K&R without moving from the place they sit now?

Borek said:
We should start a poll now - how many of PFers can see K&R without moving from the place they sit now?

Good idea and I can see Poland from my back porch too. Give a shout out if you want a version in englishe. And why is Poland so clean!?? Poland has to be the cleanest place on the planet. The camping must be unbelivable.
At one time Poland must have swung through my family's back yard. :smile:
Thanks for all your help.

Rest well Dennis Ritchie, and thank you for C.

:frown:
RIP Dennis.

Borek said:

Mine is about four feet away from me.

Lacy33 said:
Lacy,

:smile: That's a beauty...

Rhody...

jhae2.718 said:
Mine is about four feet away from me.

Eight feet here. That's two of us.

I'm a laggard. Mine is 10 feet from where I sit now. However, at the other office I work out of, it is only 4 feet from where I sit (one copy is enough? No way.)

One foot away from my outstretched hand.

RIP Dennis.

My copy of K&R is on the shelf beside me.

I wrote a web browser for IBM mainframes mostly in C, although I usually work in other languages such as IBM's PL/X, PL/I and REXX. I've always been impressed at the neat and compact nature of C, although I frequently made mistakes, mostly caused by having fingers numbered 1 to 10 where Ritchie presumably had fingers 0 to 9 (or even 0 to 011).

Borek said:
I put my third copy on permanent loan to my employer's technical library. My first two copies? They walked. One walked with my permission (but it was supposed to come back, which it didn't), the other walked without my permission.

RIP, dmr.

i have a couple of C books, but no K&R :\

This is an amazingly clever thread title.

1MileCrash said:
This is an amazingly clever thread title.
1Mile,

Trust me when I say this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_world_program" and propeller heads get it.

From his other half, Brian Kernigham.
The example program from that book prints "hello, world" (without capital letters or exclamation mark), and was inherited from a 1974 Bell Laboratories internal memorandum by Brian Kernighan, Programming in C: A Tutorial, which contains the first known version:

Rhody...

This is a real shame.

As well, I might add, it is completely and utterly appalling to read about everyone suddenly cursing Steve Jobs and his death. Not on this forum which I'm glad to see.

R.I.P Dennis Ritchie.

Related to Late Dennis Ritchie: Creator of C Programming Language

1. Who was Dennis Ritchie?

Dennis Ritchie was an American computer scientist who is best known for creating the C programming language and contributing to the development of the UNIX operating system.

2. When did Dennis Ritchie create the C programming language?

Dennis Ritchie created the C programming language in 1972 while working at Bell Labs. It was initially developed as a successor to the B programming language and was designed for use in the development of the UNIX operating system.

3. What are the main features of the C programming language?

The C programming language is known for its efficiency, flexibility, and portability. It is a low-level language that allows for direct access to hardware and memory, making it suitable for system programming. It also has a simple syntax and a large library of built-in functions, making it popular for a wide range of applications.

4. What impact did Dennis Ritchie have on the field of computer science?

Dennis Ritchie's contributions to the development of the C programming language and the UNIX operating system have had a significant impact on the field of computer science. C is still widely used today and has influenced the design of many other programming languages. UNIX, which was also co-created by Ritchie, has been a major influence on modern operating systems.

5. What is Dennis Ritchie's legacy?

Dennis Ritchie's legacy lies in his influential work in the field of computer science. He is often referred to as one of the most influential programmers of all time and his contributions continue to shape the way we use and think about computers. His creation of the C programming language has had a lasting impact on the development of software and his work on UNIX has influenced the design of many modern operating systems.