Simple harmonic motion finding velocity trouble

In summary, the block oscillates on a vertical spring without friction. The displacement equation is x = Asinwt if the stopwatch is started at the equilibrium, x = Acoswt if the stopwatch is started at the positive extreme end of the oscillation, and then the corresponding equation for the velocity is used.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

A block with mass m =6.6 kg is hung from a vertical spring. When the mass hangs in equilibrium, the spring stretches x = 0.26 m. While at this equilibrium position, the mass is then given an initial push downward at v = 4.4 m/s. The block oscillates on the spring without friction.

at time 0.39 s what is the speed of the block

Homework Equations

v= -Awsin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

i sub A= 0.716681695
w= 6.139406135
t= 0.39 into the equation and get 2.990262698

my calculator is on rads and i really don't understand what is going wrong in this calculation i found the other variables using the given values

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me that at t = 0s, the velocity is 4.4m/s.

But the equation that you are using i.e. v= -Awsin(wt)
is inconsistent with this because it gives v = 0 at t = 0,

grzz said:
It looks to me that at t = 0s, the velocity is 4.4m/s.

But the equation that you are using i.e. v= -Awsin(wt)
is inconsistent with this because it gives v = 0 at t = 0,

which equation did you use?

Eats Dirt said:
which equation did you use?

ok so you use cos instead but how do you know which one to use? the sin equation or the cos equation?

An equation consistent with the conditions of the problem is v = Awcos(wt)

It all depends at which point the time is taken as 0.
The displacement equation is x = Asinwt if the stopwatch is started at the equilibrium i.e.t = 0 at x = 0.

But the displacement is x = Acoswt if the stopwatch is started at the positive extreme end of the oscillation i.e. x = A when t = 0.

Then the corresponding equation for the velocity is used.

grzz said:
An equation consistent with the conditions of the problem is v = Awcos(wt)

yes but how would i know which one to use sin or cos? is there a general rule for telling which one should be used? or telling when there should be a phase shift etc?

thankyou for the help so far!

Sometimes the information given in the problem gives at which point in the shm the time t = 0. For example in the problem quoted, the mass is given a speed from the equilibrium position. And then one is asked to find something later on after that. So one can take t = 0 when the particle was at equilibrium i.e when displacement x = 0.

Otherwise one must make an assumption about at which point t = 0 and must remain consistent with that assumption.

grzz said:
Sometimes the information given in the problem gives at which point in the shm the time t = 0. For example in the problem quoted, the mass is given a speed from the equilibrium position. And then one is asked to find something later on after that. So one can take t = 0 when the particle was at equilibrium i.e when displacement x = 0.

Otherwise one must make an assumption about at which point t = 0 and must remain consistent with that assumption.

ok thankyou so much! although i am confused a little bit because when the box is pushed on the timer starts, is the block not at the equilibrium when it is pushed on in this problem?

It WAS at equilibrium BEFORE t = 0 but then AT t = 0 it was given a velocity.

FAQ: Simple harmonic motion finding velocity trouble

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal pattern of motion.

2. How do you find the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion can be found by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous velocity at any given point in the motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The equation for calculating the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion is v = ω√(A^2 - x^2), where v is the velocity, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. What can cause trouble when trying to find the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion?

Some common issues that can cause trouble when finding the velocity of an object in simple harmonic motion include incorrect calculations or assumptions, incorrect units, and not properly accounting for the initial conditions of the motion.

5. How can you use simple harmonic motion to find the velocity of an object in real-world applications?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in various real-world systems, such as pendulums and springs. By understanding the principles of simple harmonic motion, scientists and engineers can accurately predict and calculate the velocity of these objects, which can be useful in designing and optimizing systems for various applications.