Hoping to study physics - do I have to start over?

In summary: That's about it. I would recommend transferring to a 4-year university if you're able to. It would be worth the extra money.
Ghostie
I have one more semester left in my bachelors degree in International Relations. I would like to do a 180 and continue my education in Physics after I graduate.

A bit of background: I have always been interested in astrophysics and have studied it independently for years. Even though it was my plan to study it in college, I shied away from the sciences due to poor performance in math during high school. I just recently took a math class and did very well. I am more confident now that I could get through higher math in order to study astrophysics.

None of my undergrad coursework will apply towards a physics degree. Do I have to redo my whole bachelors degree in order to pursue grad school in physics? I'm really not too thrilled about that possibly being my only option. I am mostly concerned about time and also that there's little to no financial assistance for a second bachelors. Are there any other options? Can I take "catch-up" courses at a community college in order to qualify for a grad program? I basically want to know what the bottom line will be for me work-wise and time-wise if I wish to pursue this.

Additionally, recommendations for good academics institutions in California, preferably Northern, would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You essentially have to start over. If you had pursued your first bachelor's in something even peripherally related (engineering, chemistry, etc.) you might have a shot at only having to do remedial coursework, but as it stands you do not have the mathematics skills required for success at the higher level.

Ghostie said:
I have one more semester left in my bachelors degree in International Relations. I would like to do a 180 and continue my education in Physics after I graduate.

A bit of background: I have always been interested in astrophysics and have studied it independently for years. Even though it was my plan to study it in college, I shied away from the sciences due to poor performance in math during high school. I just recently took a math class and did very well. I am more confident now that I could get through higher math in order to study astrophysics.

None of my undergrad coursework will apply towards a physics degree. Do I have to redo my whole bachelors degree in order to pursue grad school in physics? I'm really not too thrilled about that possibly being my only option. I am mostly concerned about time and also that there's little to no financial assistance for a second bachelors. Are there any other options? Can I take "catch-up" courses at a community college in order to qualify for a grad program? I basically want to know what the bottom line will be for me work-wise and time-wise if I wish to pursue this.

Additionally, recommendations for good academics institutions in California, preferably Northern, would be helpful.

Again, I would recommend you read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

... and you can be the judge for yourself how much catching up you have to do.

Zz.

Yes, you're going to have to start over. I'd suggest finishing your current degree before starting physics. Earn a bachelors first, and if you're still interested in physics 6 months from now, go to a community college. Take the math placement exam and start where they recommend. Once you've worked your way up to calculus, take calculus-based physics. If you did well in all your math and physics courses there (I'm talking A's), then consider transferring back to a 4-year college or university to complete a physics degree. Some of your first bachelors work will transfer so it shouldn't take you 4 years total, but physics and math must be taken in some semblance of an order, so it might take a while still. Community colleges don't offer nearly enough physics to prepare you for graduate school.

I guess I should have specified my math level. The next level of math I'd be in is Calculus.

Thank you for the link to the other thread. I read that. It looks like I'll be having to redo my bachelor's degree. Does anyone know how that works specifically? I can't imagine I'll have to do all the electives/GE credits over again - tell me that's the case! Essentially I'll just have to complete the units for the physics degree, correct? Anyone have a clue what the cheapest option is? I imagine state university or online?

Im sure you won't have to go back and complete all of your GE courses. Transferring credits from your original bachelors should fill those in. As someone above stated community college would be a good choice to get most of math and introductory physics classes out of the way, dif eq, calc 1-3, lin alg, and physics 1/2. If all of your credits from your other university transfer you will have to complete all of the major requirements plus more courses if you didnt make the residency requirement where you have to take so many credits at junior level. (dont know if all uni's have this, mine does).

But, it should take you a lot less time. I am guessing it will take you three years because of course offering cycles.

dolerka said:
Im sure you won't have to go back and complete all of your GE courses. Transferring credits from your original bachelors should fill those in. As someone above stated community college would be a good choice to get most of math and introductory physics classes out of the way, dif eq, calc 1-3, lin alg, and physics 1/2. If all of your credits from your other university transfer you will have to complete all of the major requirements plus more courses if you didnt make the residency requirement where you have to take so many credits at junior level. (dont know if all uni's have this, mine does).

Perfect. So basically I can work on my prereqs at CC and then enter a uni for their minimum residency time, which is different for each school. At my current school it's only one year.

If cost is a concern for you, then studying abroad would be a good way to go around that.

Can you explain that further?

Before starting another degree you really owe it to yourself to put the first one to the test. You most likely invested $50,000 or more in it. If you are independently wealthy then fine. If not, or especially if it's not your money, responsibility demands that you take stock of yourself and what you're doing with your life.

It would be better (and cheaper) for you to graduate and clerk in a law office or even tend bar for year. If after that you still want a physics degree, go for it.

I already work in a law office.

I've considered what you've said. I'm probably going to take a few courses after graduating and see if it's something I want to commit additional time/resources to.

Ghostie, this is interesting, I am in the exact same situation. I'm a senior Biology major and I have recently realized the interest I've had in physics most of my life, and more recently in astrophysics - just done a lot of reading. I have not taken any physics in college, however I have the opportunity to stay an extra semester or year for free (parent professor). I'm ready to be done with college, but should I stay to see if the interest is valid and could lead somewhere? Thanks and good luck to you.

Well if you are thinking about ever having a shot at physics, you're going to have to do a lot more college! I'd say... take a year of physics for FREE to figure it out. Good luck...

As an international student i plan to study abroad. my TOEFL score is not a strong one, I got 73 but my other score are not as weak, my GRE physics is 900 my master GPA is 3.4 and ... acording to my condition which universities you recommend me to apply (for PhD in physics)? Thank you.

Related to Hoping to study physics - do I have to start over?

1. Can I pursue a degree in physics if I have not studied it in high school?

Yes, it is possible to study physics at the university level even if you have not taken physics in high school. You may need to take some introductory courses to catch up on the basics, but it is not necessary to start over completely.

2. Is it too late to study physics if I did not major in it in my undergraduate studies?

No, it is never too late to pursue a degree in physics. Many graduate programs in physics accept students from diverse academic backgrounds. You may need to take some prerequisite courses to prepare for graduate-level work, but you do not have to start over completely.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to study physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for studying physics. However, if you are passionate about physics, you can work on improving your math skills through self-study or by taking additional courses. Starting over completely is not necessary.

4. Can I switch to studying physics if I am currently majoring in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to switch to studying physics from a different field. You may need to take some introductory courses to catch up, but it is not necessary to start over completely. Many universities also offer a minor in physics, which can be a good option for students interested in physics but do not want to switch their major.

5. What skills do I need to be successful in studying physics?

To be successful in studying physics, you need to have a strong foundation in math and a curious and analytical mind. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are also essential skills. Additionally, being able to work well in a team and communicate complex ideas effectively are valuable skills to have as a physicist.