Find the electric field produced by two rods

In summary, two thin rods of length L with opposite charges are placed on the x-axis, producing a net electric field at a point O on the y-axis at y=h. The vertical components of the electric field cancel out, leaving only the horizontal components to consider. After some calculations, the net electric field is found to be 2k(Q/L)*[(1/h)-(1/sqrt(L^2+h^2))], with the direction being negative in the x-direction. While there may be some concerns about the sign of the result, further examination and comparisons suggest that this solution is correct.
kasparov5

Homework Statement

Two thin rods of length L lie on the x axis. One of them has a charge of
-Q uniformly distributed along its length and is positioned between x = -L
and x = 0. The other one has a charge of +Q uniformly distributed along
its length and is positioned between x = 0 and x = L. Find the electric field
produced by the two rods (magnitude and direction) at a point O located on
the y-axis at y = h.

Homework Equations

I would imagine the relevant equation is E=kq/r^2.

I would kind of like to solve this without calculus, since i don't understand that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the vertical components cancel out. After that, I really have no idea what to do. Maybe you plug in the distance into the above formula. I am really confused with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
kasparov5 said:
I think the vertical components cancel out.
Good.
After that, I really have no idea what to do. Maybe you plug in the distance into the above formula.
The formula you quoted is for a point charge.

I see no way to avoid using a bit of calculus here.

I won't address your question, but I do recommend you buy a simple book on calculus for nighttime reading and enjoyment. When I was young, I had a series of books on mathematics, one of which was "calculus for the practical man". I own several calculus textbooks now, but this little book taught me calculus in 7th grade and I understood what I was doing, not just memorizing. Calculus is easy if you understand why you are using it. Learn differentials, integrals and differential equations, which isn't in that little book, but very useful in life.

Good luck with your question ...

Ken

I think I did it without calculus. After realizing that the vertical components cancel out. I then realized that the net electric field produced by both rods will be simply 2 times the horizontal component of the electric field produced by one of the two charges. After some plugging and chugging and trigonometry, I got the following answer:

E_net on point O = (2KQL)/(((L^2)+(h^2))^3/2)

Is this correct? Is my logic sound? If not, what could I be missing.

Please help. This problem has been really annoying.

kasparov5 said:
I think I did it without calculus. After realizing that the vertical components cancel out. I then realized that the net electric field produced by both rods will be simply 2 times the horizontal component of the electric field produced by one of the two charges.
Good. But realize that each charge is a line of charge, not a point charge. (You'll have to integrate.)
After some plugging and chugging and trigonometry, I got the following answer:

E_net on point O = (2KQL)/(((L^2)+(h^2))^3/2)
How did you arrive at this answer?

I arrived at that answer by converting cos theta to variables L and h and I multiplied that by twice the electric field caused by the charge at the very end of the bar. Clearly, I forgot the fact that it is indeed a LINE of charge.

Can you show me how to begin the integration for this problem? I really have no idea.

kasparov5 said:
Can you show me how to begin the integration for this problem? I really have no idea.
Break up the line of charge into small elements of length dx. The charge density would be λ = Q/L. Then express the horizontal component of the field due to an element of charge at position x. Set that up, then integrate to get the total field from the entire line of charge. Give it a shot.

I did that. I removed the constants 2k(lambda) (2 coming from multiplying by 2 since there are two bars) and i have an integral from the length L to 0 of (x)/(x^2 +h^2)^3/2 dx...but i do not know how to integrate this. There is an h inside there that technically is also a constant, but I cannot get it out of the integral like 2k(lambda). How do I integrate this last section?

Thanks!

Just play around with it a bit. Try a substitution, such as y^2 = x^2 + h^2.

I think I got the answer as being E_net = 2k(Q/L)*[(1/h)-(1/sqrt(L^2+h^2))] where Q/L is of course lambda. I got this by substituting like you said and then plugging in L and 0 for x to find the definite integral. The electric field is in the negative x direction.

Please tell me if this is the correct answer. I worked quite hard on it. Is there anything I did wrong?

Thanks for your encouragement!

Looks good to me. Nice job!

oh no...i think it is wrong because what if (1/h)-(1/sqrt(L^2+h^2)) turns out negative?

I might get a positive or negative answer.

What does this mean? Is it wrong?

kasparov5 said:
oh no...i think it is wrong because what if (1/h)-(1/sqrt(L^2+h^2)) turns out negative?
Do you think that's possible? Compare h to sqrt(L^2+h^2).

:wink:

Related to Find the electric field produced by two rods

1. How do you find the electric field produced by two rods?

The electric field produced by two rods can be found by using the formula E = k * (q/r^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the rod, and r is the distance from the rod.

2. What is the significance of the distance between the two rods in determining the electric field?

The distance between the two rods is a crucial factor in determining the electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases proportionally. This is because the electric field follows the inverse square law, which states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

3. How does the charge of the rods affect the electric field?

The charge of the rods directly affects the strength of the electric field. The greater the charge, the stronger the electric field. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge. So, as the charge increases, the electric field also increases.

4. Can the direction of the electric field produced by two rods be determined?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can be determined by the direction of the charges on the rods. The electric field lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges. So, if the two rods have opposite charges, the electric field will point from the positive rod to the negative rod.

5. How does the arrangement of the two rods affect the electric field?

The arrangement of the two rods can affect the electric field in different ways. If the rods are parallel to each other, the electric field produced will be in the same direction. However, if the rods are perpendicular to each other, the electric field produced will be at an angle between the two rods. Additionally, if the rods are at an angle to each other, the electric field produced will also be at an angle between the two rods.

Back