Brits will get a kick out of this

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential double meaning of words in different countries, specifically the word "spunk" and how it relates to a gym website. The conversation also touches on cultural differences and humor, with one person jokingly suggesting the gym may be a gay establishment. The conversation ends with someone realizing the link is not working.
Jack21222
You know how a word can mean two different things in America and Great Britain?

Would any of you Brits go to a gym called [noparse]http://www.spunkfitness.com/[/noparse][/U] ?

(Disclaimer: I am not advertising or endorsing this gym. It gets terrible reviews on Yelp, I'm just pointing out the humorous name)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard Americans use that word in a slang way too.

If I was trying to get my wife pregnant I might try it, the exercise routines should be interesting.

oh dear..

We Canucks are about half-way between UK and US in our language and our taste in humour. While the link doesn't work for me, I just about snorted my Scotch when I read the title of it. I can only assume that it's a gay establishment.

This link is not a link, so it is not working.

Ah... well, then, that explains it.edit: I just thought of a very disturbing new take on a classic Mary Tyler Moore Show episode...

Last edited:

Related to Brits will get a kick out of this

1. What does "Brits will get a kick out of this" mean?

"Brits will get a kick out of this" is a phrase that means something will be particularly enjoyable or amusing for people from Britain. It implies that the content or activity is tailored to their tastes and sense of humor.

2. What makes something appealing specifically to Brits?

There is no one specific factor that appeals to all Brits, as they are a diverse group of people with different interests and preferences. However, some characteristics that are often associated with British humor and culture include sarcasm, wit, self-deprecation, and dry humor.

3. Is this phrase exclusive to Brits or can anyone enjoy it?

The phrase "Brits will get a kick out of this" does not necessarily mean that only Brits will enjoy something. It simply suggests that it may be particularly amusing or relatable for people from Britain. Anyone can enjoy the content or activity, regardless of their nationality.

4. Can non-British people understand and appreciate British humor?

Yes, non-British people can understand and appreciate British humor. While there may be cultural references or jokes that are specific to British culture, humor is subjective and can be appreciated by people from different backgrounds. It is also worth noting that not all British humor is the same and can vary among different regions and age groups.

5. Is there a difference between British humor and American humor?

Yes, there are some differences between British and American humor. British humor is often described as more dry, sarcastic, and self-deprecating, while American humor is often more direct and slapstick. However, these are generalizations and there can be overlap and individual differences within both British and American humor.