Find the area of the lune formed (Using calc please)

• Thread starter anelephant09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: Sorry about that!In summary, the conversation was about finding the area of a crescent-shaped region bounded by arcs of circles with radii r and R. The person attempted to use arcsin and plotted the circles on a coordinate axis, but was unsure of how to proceed. They asked for help and someone suggested finding the separation distance between the circle centers and using integration to find the area.
anelephant09
Hi all,

Homework Statement

Find the area of the crescent-shaped region (called a lune) bounded by arcs of circles with radii r and R.

http://mathhelpforum.com/attachments/calculus/19696-find-area-untitled.png

Homework Equations

I know we have to use arcsin which is $$ \frac {1}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plotting the circles on a coordinate axis with the bigger circle centered at the origin and the smaller circle centered at a point (0,b) but I am not really sure where to go from here... If this was geometry, it would have been easy, but we have to use calc on this problem.

So far, i started with $$r \sqrt{R^{2}-r^{2}} +\frac{pir^{2}}{2}$$
but I am stuck now. Can anyone provide a push in the right direction for me?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
anelephant09 said:
Hi all,

Homework Statement

Find the area of the crescent-shaped region (called a lune) bounded by arcs of circles with radii r and R.
http://mathhelpforum.com/attachments/calculus/19696-find-area-untitled.png

Homework Equations

I know we have to use arcsin which is $$ \frac {1}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plotting the circles on a coordinate axis with the bigger circle centered at the origin and the smaller circle centered at a point (0,b) but I am not really sure where to go from here... If this was geometry, it would have been easy, but we have to use calc on this problem.

So far, i started with $$r \sqrt{R^{2}-r^{2}} +\frac{pir^{2}}{2}$$but I am stuck now. Can anyone provide a push in the right direction for me?
Thanks in advance.
Hello anelephant09. Welcome to PF !

Your image was not visible, but I see it now.

Here it is again:
attachment.png

You need to know the separation distance between the centers of the circles .

Added in Edit:
Oh! I see from the diagram, you can figure out the separation.

Attachments

• 19696-find-area.png
    19696-find-area.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited:
Area of circles by integration

Whoops, meant to make a new thread.

Related to Find the area of the lune formed (Using calc please)

What is a lune?

A lune is a geometric shape that is formed by two circular arcs that intersect at their endpoints. It resembles a crescent moon, hence the name lune.

How do I find the area of a lune using a calculator?

To find the area of a lune using a calculator, you will need to know the radius of the two circular arcs that form the lune. Then, you can use the formula A = (π * r^2 * θ) / 360 to calculate the area, where r is the radius and θ is the central angle of the arc in degrees.

Can I use any calculator to find the area of a lune?

Yes, any calculator that has basic mathematical functions and the ability to input and calculate trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) can be used to find the area of a lune.

Are there any special considerations when using a calculator to find the area of a lune?

Yes, when using a calculator to find the area of a lune, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct unit of measurement (usually degrees) and that you are using the correct formula for the given lune. It is also important to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Can I find the area of a lune without using a calculator?

Yes, you can find the area of a lune using a pen and paper by drawing the lune and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes (such as triangles or rectangles). Then, you can use basic geometric formulas to calculate the area of each shape and add them together to find the total area of the lune.