Parametric Vector Equation for Line AB Using λ as the Parameter

In summary: So x = < 2 , 1, 7 > + λ<1/3√2,4/3√2,-1/3√2> and y = < 1 + λ(- 3/√14) and z = 7 + λ(2/√14). You're right, the equation is ugly.Thanks for catching that.Yes, thank you for catching that.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

The position vectors of two points A,B of a line are a = < 2 ,1 ,7> : b = < 1 , 4 , -1 >
Find the parametric vector equation for any point on the line AB using λ as the parameter.

Homework Equations

In general x = a + λb
Where b is the unit vector of b.

The Attempt at a Solution

b = b/ |b|
So b = <1/ 3√2,4/ 3√2,-1/ 3√2>
so we have
x = < 2 , 1, 7> + λ<1/ 3√2,4/ 3√2,-1/ 3√2>

This correct? Please do not give me the answer but I prefer a hint. Thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

The position vectors of two points A,B of a line are a = < 2 ,1 ,7> : b = < 1 , 4 , -1 >
Find the parametric vector equation for any point on the line AB using λ as the parameter.

Homework Equations

In general x = a + λb
Where b is the unit vector of b.
The vector b in this equation is not the same as the position vector b above. You need a vector with the same direction as your line.
Jbreezy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

b = b/ |b|
So b = <1/ 3√2,4/ 3√2,-1/ 3√2>
so we have
x = < 2 , 1, 7> + λ<1/ 3√2,4/ 3√2,-1/ 3√2>

This correct? Please do not give me the answer but I prefer a hint. Thank you .

The vector b in this equation is not the same as the position vector b above. You need a vector with the same direction as your line.

I don't follow you dude. So b is not the same because I made b into a unit vector. So it is lambda times the unit vector b
I don't quite follow you. Thanks :)

You have two points on your line: A( 2 ,1 ,7) and B( 1 , 4 , -1). As a vector, <1, 4, -1> is NOT in the same direction as the line from A to B. You need to find that vector; i.e. AB.

Mark44,

OK, So a = < 2 , 1 ,7 > and b = < 1 , 4 , -1 >

AB = a - b = < 2 , 1 ,7 > - < 1 , 4 , -1 > = < 1 , - 3, 2 >
Turn AB into a unit vector. So you have < 1 / sqrt(14), -3/ sqrt(14) , 2/ sqrt(14) >
Then any point x is represented by x = < 2, 1, 7 > + (lambda) < 1 / sqrt(14), -3/ sqrt(14) , 2/ sqrt(14) >

Good?Thanks

Thanks Mark44.

So if I wanted this in Cartesian coordinates then x , y , z = 2 , 1 , 7 + λ ( 1/√14, - 3/√14, 2/ √14)
I'm sorry pretend they are written as column's
Then we have
x = 2 + λ(1/√14)
y = 1 + λ(- 3/√14)
z = 7 + λ(2/ √14)

Eliminate lambda and I got.

√14(x - 2) = -(y -1)(√14)/ 3 = ( z - 7)(√14)/2
Correct?

Kind of ugly equation don't you think? Thanks

Jbreezy said:
Mark44,

OK, So a = < 2 , 1 ,7 > and b = < 1 , 4 , -1 >

AB = a - b = < 2 , 1 ,7 > - < 1 , 4 , -1 > = < 1 , - 3, 2 >

Actually, the vector from a to b is b-a, not a-b, if that matters.

Related to Parametric Vector Equation for Line AB Using λ as the Parameter

1. What is a parametric vector equation?

A parametric vector equation is a mathematical representation of a vector in terms of one or more parameters. It is commonly used to describe a line or curve in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is a parametric vector equation different from a standard vector equation?

In a standard vector equation, the vector is represented in terms of its components (x, y, z). In a parametric vector equation, the vector is represented in terms of one or more variables or parameters (t, s, u). This allows for more flexibility in describing the vector and its position in space.

3. What is the purpose of using a parametric vector equation?

A parametric vector equation allows for a more general and flexible representation of a vector. It can be used to describe complex curves and surfaces, and can also be used in applications such as computer graphics and physics.

4. How do you determine the direction of a vector from a parametric vector equation?

The direction of a vector in a parametric vector equation is determined by the coefficients of the parameters. For example, if the equation is given as r = 3t + 2s, the direction of the vector will be in the same direction as the vector (3, 2).

5. Can a parametric vector equation be used to find the length of a vector?

No, a parametric vector equation does not provide information about the length of a vector. To find the length of a vector, you would need to use the Pythagorean theorem or the magnitude formula.