Cone rolling on a conical surface

In summary: Its the same thing which we do in maths ,like x=3y ,y=N(i.e 1,2,3...),x≤18 .x will be multiple of 3 but the maximum value x can take is 18.Thank you haruspex and Tanya! :smile:
Saitama

Homework Statement

A round cone A of mass ##m## and half-angle ##\alpha## rolls uniformly and without slipping along a round conical surface B so that its apex O remains stationary. The centre of gravity of the cone A is at the same level as point O and at a distance ##\ell## from it. The cone's axis moves with angular velocity ##\omega##. Find:
a)the static friction force acting on the cone A
b)at what values of ##\omega##, the cone A will roll without slipping if coefficient of friction between the surfaces is equal to k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a is easy to solve. I solved it by making an FBD of the cone A. Hence, force due to friction is ##mg(\sin\alpha+(\omega \ell^2/g)\cos \alpha)##.

I don't have any idea about how would I start with b.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• conical surface.png
    conical surface.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 745
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav

Since you have solved the first part, second one should be easy for you :smile:

The maximum static friction between the surfaces is kN.The force of friction you have calculated in part A should be less than kN .Find value of N from FBD ,put in the relation and you get values of ω for which the cone doesn't slip .

Hope this helps

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a is easy to solve. I solved it by making an FBD of the cone A. Hence, force due to friction is ##mg(\sin\alpha+(\omega \ell^2/g)\cos \alpha)##.

Is that square at the proper place ? :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
Is that square at the proper place ? :smile:

ehild

No. Sorry about the typo. :)

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Pranav

Since you have solved the first part, second one should be easy for you :smile:

The maximum static friction between the surfaces is kN. The force of friction you have calculated in part A should be less than kN .Find value of N from FBD ,put in the relation and you get values of ω for which the cone doesn't slip .

Hope this helps

Thanks, I followed your suggestion and got the right answer. :smile:

But what if ##\omega## becomes greater than required? How would it affect the motion of cone? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
But what if ##\omega## becomes greater than required? How would it affect the motion of cone? :confused:

The cone rolls with slipping :)

Tanya Sharma said:
The cone rolls with slipping :)

I still don't get it. If ##\omega## becomes greater, the force of friction would be greater than kN. But kN is the maximum friction force, how is it possible? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I still don't get it. If ##\omega## becomes greater, the force of friction would be greater than kN. But kN is the maximum friction force, how is it possible? :confused:
If ##\omega## becomes greater, the force of friction needed to roll without slipping would be greater than kN. Therefore it will slip, so this greater value of ω is beyond the range.
Note that the question asks not for a single value of ω but for a range of values.

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:

The maximum friction will be kN .For values of ω,which give value of friction greater than the limiting value ,the cone rolls with slipping .In other words ,values of friction beyond the limiting value is not feasible,hence irrelevant .It cannot increase beyond a certain limit .

The relation between friction and angular velocity which you have obtained is applicable only upto the limiting value i.e kN .

Its the same thing which we do in maths ,like x=3y ,y=N(i.e 1,2,3...),x≤18 .x will be multiple of 3 but the maximum value x can take is 18.

Last edited:
Likes 2 people
Thank you haruspex and Tanya! :smile:

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Cone rolling on a conical surface

1. What is the concept of cone rolling on a conical surface?

The concept of cone rolling on a conical surface involves a cone-shaped object moving along the surface of another cone-shaped object. The motion is similar to that of a wheel rolling on a hill or a ball rolling in a bowl. The difference is that in this case, the surfaces are both conical in shape.

2. What factors influence the rolling motion of a cone on a conical surface?

The rolling motion of a cone on a conical surface is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the cones, the weight and shape of the cone, and the friction between the two surfaces. The size and shape of the cones will also affect the speed and direction of the rolling motion.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the cones and the rolling motion?

The angle of the cones is a crucial factor in determining the rolling motion. If the cones have the same angle, the cone will roll in a straight line. However, if the angles are different, the cone will roll in a curved path. The steeper the angle, the faster the cone will roll.

4. How does friction affect the rolling motion of a cone on a conical surface?

Friction plays a significant role in the rolling motion of a cone on a conical surface. If there is no friction, the cone will roll without any resistance, and the motion will continue indefinitely. However, in reality, there is always some friction between the two surfaces, which will slow down the cone's rolling motion.

5. What are the real-life applications of cone rolling on a conical surface?

The concept of cone rolling on a conical surface has various real-life applications, including in the design of gears and wheels, as well as in industrial processes such as conveyor belts and rolling mills. It is also studied in physics and engineering to understand the principles of motion and friction.

Back