How Do Accelerations and Angular Acceleration Relate in a Disk and Mass System?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drum
In summary, a disk of mass M and radius R unwinds from a tape wrapped around it. The tape passes over a frictionless pulley, and a mass m is suspended from the other end. The disk drops vertically, and the accelerations of m and the disk, a and A, respectively are related to the angular acceleration of the disk. Find a, A and ##\alpha##.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A disk of mass M and radius R unwinds from a tape wrapped around it. The tape passes over a frictionless pulley, and a mass m is suspended from the other end. Assume that the disk drops vertically.

a. Relate the accelerations of m and the disk, a and A, respectively to the angular acceleration of disk.

b. Find a, A and ##\alpha##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Newton's second law on disk: ##Mg-T=MA## where T is the tension in tape.

For m: ##mg-T=ma##. I still need one more equation.

I am not sure but do I have to equate the acceleration along string? For instance, the point in contact with disk has acceleration ##A-\alpha R##. Does this mean, ##a=A-\alpha R##?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6.23.png
    6.23.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 687
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
Does this mean, ##a=A-\alpha R##?
That's about right, but be careful with the signs. Which way are you defining as positive for each variable?

haruspex said:
That's about right, but be careful with the signs. Which way are you defining as positive for each variable?

I am defining downward to be positive (the direction of g). But I still don't see why there is a sign error in my equation.

Pranav-Arora said:
I am defining downward to be positive (the direction of g). But I still don't see why there is a sign error in my equation.
There's also the question of which direction of rotation is positive. Taking that to be clockwise in the diagram, I have no problem with the A-αR part. But remember that a is upwards on this side of the pulley. E.g. suppose A=0. A positive a for the descending mass should produce a positive α, but in your equation it gives negative α.

haruspex said:
There's also the question of which direction of rotation is positive. Taking that to be clockwise in the diagram, I have no problem with the A-αR part. But remember that a is upwards on this side of the pulley. E.g. suppose A=0. A positive a for the descending mass should produce a positive α, but in your equation it gives negative α.

So that means, ##a=-A+\alpha R##? This also looks incorrect to me. The clue for the answer states that if A=2a, then ##\alpha=3A/R## but if I substitute a=A/2, I get ##\alpha=3A/(2R)##. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
So that means, ##a=-A+\alpha R##? ... if I substitute a=A/2, I get ##\alpha=3A/(2R)##.
That's not what I get with that substitution. You might be mixing up your A and a.

haruspex said:
That's not what I get with that substitution. You might be mixing up your A and a.

I don't see what I did wrong. Given clue: ##A=2a \Rightarrow a=A/2##. Plugging this in ##a=-A+\alpha R##, ##A/2=-A+\alpha R \Rightarrow 3A/2=\alpha R##. Is something wrong with my expression? I have tried to make the equations according to the diagram. Please tell me if something is unclear.

Try to use the length (or the change in length) of the tape for another constraint.

Pranav-Arora said:
I don't see what I did wrong. Given clue: ##A=2a \Rightarrow a=A/2##. Plugging this in ##a=-A+\alpha R##, ##A/2=-A+\alpha R \Rightarrow 3A/2=\alpha R##. Is something wrong with my expression? I have tried to make the equations according to the diagram. Please tell me if something is unclear.

Oh, sorry - it's me that's getting my A and a confused. Anyway, I insist that A+a = αR. Consider two special case: if m is held still then a = 0 and A = αR; likewise if the centre of M is held fixed than A=0 and a = αR.

haruspex said:
Oh, sorry - it's me that's getting my A and a confused. Anyway, I insist that A+a = αR. Consider two special case: if m is held still then a = 0 and A = αR; likewise if the centre of M is held fixed than A=0 and a = αR.

Umm...what do I have to do after considering these two cases? I still don't get the right ##\alpha## after substituting a=A/2. :rolleyes:

Enigman said:
Try to use the length (or the change in length) of the tape for another constraint.

Let length be L(t)
##\frac{d^2 L}{dt^2}=?##
How does that ^ relate to α? What about a and A?
:zzz:need sleepzzz...

Likes 1 person
Hi Pranav...

Please write down all the equations you have formed.Somehow I am not able to follow.

Enigman said:
Let length be L(t)
##\frac{d^2 L}{dt^2}=?##
How does that ^ relate to α? What about a and A?
:zzz:need sleepzzz...

Hi Enigman! :smile:

I am honestly lost at finding out the expression for L(t).

Let ##L_0## be the initial length of tape. If the block moves down x and the disk moves down y, the new length of string is:

$$L(t)=L_0+x+y$$

Differentiating wrt time twice,

$$\frac{d^2L}{dt^2}=a+A-\alpha R$$.

What should I do with this? :confused:

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Pranav...

Please write down all the equations you have formed.Somehow I am not able to follow.

Hi Tanya! :smile:

Here are the equations I wrote before this post:
For disk: ##Mg-T=MA##
For block: ##mg-T=ma##

Relating the accelerations: ##a=-A+\alpha R##.

The above equations are written with reference to the attached diagram in #1.

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi Tanya! :smile:

Here are the equations I wrote before this post:
For disk: ##Mg-T=MA##
For block: ##mg-T=ma##

Relating the accelerations: ##a=-A+\alpha R##.

The above equations are written with reference to the attached diagram in #1.

Good...These are correct equations .Now what is the problem ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Good...These are correct equations .Now what is the problem ?

The problem is that these equations do not satisfy the given clue for part a. I quote the clue from the book:

If ##A=2a##, then ##\alpha =3A/R##

What I have is ##a=-A+\alpha R##. Substituting a=A/2, ##\alpha = 3A/(2R)## which is incorrect. But if I substitute A=2a, I get ##\alpha =3a/R##. Error in the book I guess?

Pranav-Arora said:
The problem is that these equations do not satisfy the given clue for part a. I quote the clue from the book:

What I have is ##a=-A+\alpha R##. Substituting a=A/2, ##\alpha = 3A/(2R)## which is incorrect. But if I substitute A=2a, I get ##\alpha =3a/R##. Error in the book I guess?

##\alpha =3a/R## is correct :approve:

Likes 1 person
Thanks haruspex, Tanya and Engiman! :)

@Tanya: Can you please confirm if my expression for d^2L/dt^2 is correct? Also, what am I supposed to do with that? Equate it to zero?

Pranav-Arora said:
@Tanya: Can you please confirm if my expression for d^2L/dt^2 is correct? Also, what am I supposed to do with that? Equate it to zero?

Why are you doing all this ? This isn't required .

Tanya Sharma said:
Why are you doing all this ? This isn't required .

Since I have written it down, I would like to know if it's valid or not.

Pranav-Arora said:
Since I have written it down, I would like to know if it's valid or not.

No...that's wrong .

What does the term d2L/dt2 represent ?

Tanya Sharma said:
What does the term d2L/dt2 represent ?

The rate of change of rate of change of length of the tape. :-p

Honestly, I don't know how to interpret it. dL/dt is the rate at which the length of string changes. I don't see how should I interpret the second derivative. :(

d2L/dt2 = αR

Now, L = L0+x+y

Differentiating twice, d2L/dt2 = a+A

and αR = a+A :smile:

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
d2L/dt2 = αR

Now, L = L0+x+y

Differentiating twice, d2L/dt2 = a+A

and αR = a+A :smile:

Ah yes, thanks a lot Tanya! :smile:

You are welcome :smile:

Related to How Do Accelerations and Angular Acceleration Relate in a Disk and Mass System?

1. How does tape unwind from a drum?

When a tape is wound onto a drum, it is wound tightly with tension. When the drum starts to rotate, the tape begins to unwind due to the tension being released.

2. What are the factors that affect tape unwinding from a drum?

The speed of the drum rotation, the tension of the tape, the condition of the tape and the surface of the drum all affect how the tape unwinds from the drum.

3. What happens if the tape unwinds too quickly from the drum?

If the tape unwinds too quickly from the drum, it can cause the tape to become tangled or twisted, leading to playback issues. It can also cause damage to the tape or the tape player.

4. How can I prevent tape from unwinding too quickly from the drum?

Properly maintaining and storing the tape can prevent it from unwinding too quickly from the drum. Keeping the tape clean and free from dust and debris, and storing it in a cool, dry place can help prevent issues with unwinding.

5. Why is it important to properly unwind tape from a drum?

Unwinding tape from a drum improperly can cause damage to the tape or the tape player. It can also affect the quality of the audio or video being played back. Properly unwinding the tape helps ensure smooth playback and prolongs the lifespan of the tape and the tape player.