0.7 correlation but almost 0 p-value, how to interpret?

In summary, the correlation between the two data sets is about 0.7. The p-value, which is provided by a software, is about 10-92, which suggests that the correlation is not really strong.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi guys,
I've compared 2 samples of data from which I expected some correlation. The result is that the correlation is about 0.7 while the p-value (calculated by a software) is about ##10^{-92}##.
I don't really know how to interpret this low p-value. Does that mean that I can fully trust that the correlation is indeed 0.7 or does that mean that not at all. That it's extremely unlikely.
Or does that implies something else?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The p-value for what?

For being uncorrelated? Then you know it is correlated for sure, and probably with a correlation close to 0.7. Apart from very weird cases, this value of 0.7 should be quite precise, otherwise I don't see how you would get such a small p-value.

Likes fluidistic
mfb said:
The p-value for what?

For being uncorrelated? Then you know it is correlated for sure, and probably with a correlation close to 0.7. Apart from very weird cases, this value of 0.7 should be quite precise, otherwise I don't see how you would get such a small p-value.
From the program itself:
ThePearson correlation coefficient measures the linear relationship
between two datasets.Strictly speaking,Pearson's correlation requires
that each dataset be normally distributed. Like other correlation
coefficients, this one varies between -1 and +1 with 0 implying no
correlation. Correlations of -1 or +1 imply an exact linear
relationship. Positive correlations imply that as x increases, so does
y. Negative correlations imply that as x increases, y decreases.

The p-value roughly indicates the probability of an uncorrelated system
producing datasets that have a Pearson correlation at least as extreme
as the one computed from these datasets. The p-values are not entirely
reliable but are probably reasonable for datasets larger than 500 or so.
So... the probability that an uncorrelated data set having a correlation of 0.70 or more is basically 0, is what the p-value is telling me?
But "uncorrelated" from which data set? From both that I tested?

It means that your two data sets are very unlikely to be uncorrelated with each other, assuming that you have enough data . It would be a very freak occurrence for two uncorrelated data sets to appear that well correlated just by luck

Likes fluidistic
Thank you very much guys!

Related to 0.7 correlation but almost 0 p-value, how to interpret?

1. What does a 0.7 correlation mean?

A 0.7 correlation means that there is a strong positive linear relationship between two variables. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase.

2. What does almost 0 p-value indicate in this scenario?

An almost 0 p-value indicates that there is a very low probability that the observed correlation occurred by chance. This suggests that the relationship between the variables is statistically significant and not due to random chance.

3. Can a 0.7 correlation be considered significant if the p-value is almost 0?

Yes, a 0.7 correlation can still be considered significant even if the p-value is almost 0. This is because the p-value does not directly measure the strength of the correlation, but rather the likelihood of obtaining the observed correlation by chance.

4. Is a 0.7 correlation considered a strong correlation?

Yes, a 0.7 correlation is generally considered a strong correlation. However, the interpretation of correlation strength may vary depending on the field of study and the specific variables being examined.

5. How should I interpret a 0.7 correlation with almost 0 p-value in my research?

If you have found a 0.7 correlation with almost 0 p-value in your research, it is important to examine the context of your study and the variables involved. This strong correlation and low p-value suggest a significant relationship between the variables, but it is always important to consider other factors and potential limitations in your research before drawing conclusions.