1.5V/3W lightbulbs with a 9V battery. Will they burn out?

• Thread starter carnivalcougar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of 9V batteries and 1.5V bulbs to create steady light. It is determined that in order to avoid burning out the bulbs, 6 bulbs must be connected to each 9V battery to create a total voltage drop of 9V. The equations used to calculate power, current, and resistance are also mentioned.
carnivalcougar

Homework Statement

Imagine that you have a box of 9V batteries and a box of flashlight bulbs labeled 1.5V/3W for operational voltage/power. What is the ohmic resistance of the bulbs? Can you turn on the 1.5V bulbs without burning them out by using the available 9V batteries?

Homework Equations

P=ΔW/t=ΔVI=ΔV2/R=I2R
I = P/V
R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I in the bulbs will be 3W/1.5V which is 2A
R in the bulbs will be 1.5V/2A which is .75ohms

If you attach one of the bulbs to a 9V battery, the voltage drop will be = to IR which is (2A)(.75ohms) which is 1.5V. So using a 9V battery the bulb will only get 1.5V which will not cause the bulb to burn out. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What they really mean is: It's a dark and lonely night, and all you have is a 9v battery and a box of 1.5v bulbs. Are you going to be stuck in the dark all night, or can you create some steady light? If so, how can you do it?

Warning: if you cause any light bulb to experience (across its terminals) a voltage that exceeds its rated voltage, the bulb will burn out in too short a time to be useful here.

I think I see. You would need to connect 6 lightbulbs to each 9V battery. This is because each lightbulb is rated for 1.5V. In order to create a voltage drop of 1.5V across each bulb and have the total voltage drop sum to zero, you would need 9/1.5 bulbs, which is 6 bulbs. Hopefully this is correct.

carnivalcougar said:
I think I see. You would need to connect 6 lightbulbs to each 9V battery. This is because each lightbulb is rated for 1.5V. In order to create a voltage drop of 1.5V across each bulb and have the total voltage drop sum to zero, you would need 9/1.5 bulbs, which is 6 bulbs. Hopefully this is correct.
Yes, I guess that's what was intended by this question. I'd call that a total voltage drop of 9v.

Likes 1 person

I can confirm that your calculations are correct. The ohmic resistance of the bulbs is 0.75 ohms and using a 9V battery will result in a voltage drop of 1.5V, which is within the operational voltage range of the bulbs. Therefore, the bulbs will not burn out when connected to the 9V battery. However, it is important to note that the bulbs may not shine as brightly as they would with a 1.5V battery, as the power output will be lower due to the lower voltage. It is always recommended to use the appropriate voltage and power source for optimal performance and to avoid potential damage to the bulbs.

FAQ: 1.5V/3W lightbulbs with a 9V battery. Will they burn out?

1. Can a 1.5V/3W lightbulb be powered by a 9V battery?

Yes, a 1.5V/3W lightbulb can be powered by a 9V battery. However, the bulb's lifespan may be significantly shortened due to the higher voltage.

2. Will a 1.5V/3W lightbulb burn out if connected to a 9V battery?

It is likely that the 1.5V/3W lightbulb will burn out if connected to a 9V battery. The higher voltage can cause the filament to overheat and burn out quickly.

3. How long will a 1.5V/3W lightbulb last when powered by a 9V battery?

The lifespan of the 1.5V/3W lightbulb when powered by a 9V battery will vary depending on the specific bulb and battery, but it will likely be significantly shorter than when powered by the recommended voltage.

4. Is it safe to use a 1.5V/3W lightbulb with a 9V battery?

It is not recommended to use a 1.5V/3W lightbulb with a 9V battery as it can pose a safety hazard due to the higher voltage and potential for the bulb to burn out quickly.

5. Why is it not recommended to use a 1.5V/3W lightbulb with a 9V battery?

It is not recommended because the higher voltage can cause the bulb to overheat and potentially burn out quickly, which can be a safety hazard. It can also significantly shorten the lifespan of the bulb.