1-d kinematics food fight in space

In summary: Keep in mind that when an object is in motion, it continues on that path with constant velocity unless acted upon by a force. So in this case, the banana will continue moving at 14 m/s until it reaches your location. Therefore, you can simply multiply the velocity by the time to get the distance traveled. In summary, the banana was tossed at a speed of 14.0 m/s and traveled a distance of 9.1 m before colliding with the ice cream.
tri5

Homework Statement

Having aced your Physics 2111 class, you get a sweet summer-job working in the International Space Station. Your room-mate, Cosmonaut Valdimir tosses a banana at you at a speed of 14.0 m/s. At exactly the same instant, you fling a scoop of ice cream at Valdimir along exactly the same path. The collision between banana and ice cream produces a banana split 6.0 m from your location 1.3 s after the banana and ice cream were launched.

1) How fast did you toss the ice cream? 4.6153 m/s

2) How far were you from Valdimir when you tossed the ice cream?

Homework Equations

v = v_0 + a t
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is in the pdf file.
I am having trouble with question 2. I calculated the acceleration of the banana by dividing the initial velocity by the time, then plug it in x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2. With t = 1.3s, v_0 = 14 m/s, and a = -10.7692 m/s^2.
My delta x = 9.1
I then added the 6m + 9.1m = 15.1m, but the automated homework system says the the answer is incorrect.

Attachments

• NewDoc 4.pdf
    518.7 KB · Views: 318
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello tri5. Welcome to PF!

The speed of 14.0 m/s for the banana is the speed it left your room-mate's hand. Once it leaves the hand, does it have any acceleration?

No the banana does not have any acceleration. I ended up multiplying the velocity of the banana by the elapsed time, which gave me the distance it traveled. Then adding that answer to 6m gave me the correct answer. Thanks for your help!

Good work!

Can you please help me find my error?

Hello! It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations for the second question. However, I believe the error may be in your units. In your calculations, you used seconds for the time and meters per second for the initial velocity, which would result in meters for the acceleration. However, in the equations you used, the units should be in meters per second squared for acceleration. Therefore, your acceleration should be -10.7692 m/s^2, not just -10.7692 m/s. When you use the correct units, your delta x should be 15.1 m, which matches the answer given by the automated homework system. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: 1-d kinematics food fight in space

1. What is 1-d kinematics?

1-d kinematics is the study of motion in one dimension, specifically in a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in relation to time.

2. How does a food fight occur in space?

A food fight in space can occur due to the lack of gravity and the presence of microgravity. Without gravity, food particles will not fall to the ground, making it easier for them to stay suspended in the air or stick to surfaces.

3. What happens to food particles in a food fight in space?

In a food fight in space, food particles will float around and collide with other objects or surfaces. They may also stick to surfaces or each other due to static electricity. Eventually, they will be cleaned up by the astronauts using special tools designed for microgravity environments.

4. How does the lack of gravity affect the trajectory of food particles in a food fight?

The lack of gravity in space means that food particles will not follow a parabolic path like they would on Earth. Instead, they will continue in a straight line or change direction when they collide with other objects or surfaces.

5. Is a food fight in space dangerous?

While a food fight in space may be messy and inconvenient for the astronauts, it is not considered dangerous. The lack of gravity means that the food particles will not have the same force as they would on Earth, and the astronauts are trained to handle objects in microgravity environments.