1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley

In summary: I'm realizing now I didn't use the correct force equation for the man. I should have used F=ma instead of F=mg. I got 5.20 for his acceleration which gives 2.82 seconds for the last question.In summary, the man is pulled up by the bucket of bricks and reaches the top of the building in 2.91 seconds. The bricks fall out of the bucket and the man falls back to the ground, slowing his descent. The net force on the man is 681.1 N, and using F=ma, his acceleration is 5.20 m/s^2. The height of the building is 13.34 meters and it takes 2.82 seconds for
southernguy13

Homework Statement

I uploaded the image with for the problem.

The bucket is full of bricks and when the man unties the rope to bring the bucket to the ground, he gets pulled into the air while holding the rope. He goes all the way to the top (taking place in 2.91 seconds). The bricks fell out of the bucket when it hit the ground (when he hit the top) and the bricks fell out (now weighing only 18.8 kg). He then fell back to the ground and the bucket went back up, but slowed his fall.

mass of bricks = 124 kg
mass of bucket = 18.8 kg
mass of man = 73.3 kg
time of ascent = 2.91 s
gravity = 9.8 m/s^2

A. What was the initial upward acceleration by the man? (in m/s^2)
B. What is the height of the building? (in m)
C. How many seconds did it take (after starting his decent) for the man to hit the ground? (in s)

Homework Equations

F=ma
x = vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

A. mass of bricks + mass of bucket = 142.8 kg

142.8 (9.8) = 1399.44

73.3 (9.8) = 718.34

1399.44 - 718.34 = 681.1

F=ma
681.1 = 73.3a
a = 9.29195

I don't think I'm doing it right though. I got some help from someone else and was told to multiply 142.8 by 9.8, but is this right? I'm not getting the right answer.

B.
x = vot + 1/2at^2
x = 0 + 1/2(9.3)(2.91^2) = 39 m

C. x = vot + 1/2at^2
39 = 0 + 1/2(9.8)t^2
t = 2.82 sec

Thanks

Attachments

• hw03.001.jpg
    hw03.001.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
southernguy13 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

A. mass of bricks + mass of bucket = 142.8 kg

142.8 (9.8) = 1399.44

73.3 (9.8) = 718.34

1399.44 - 718.34 = 681.1

F=ma
681.1 = 73.3a
You found the net force (along the direction of motion) on the entire mass, not just on the man.

You might be better off analyzing the forces on the man and the forces on the bucket+bricks separately. Get two force equations then combine them to solve for the acceleration.

Oh I see now. I added the masses together to get 216.1 then used that for the mass. So 681.1/216.1 = 3.15 m/s^2 which is correct!

I used that to get the height of the building, 13.34 meters.

What I can't figure out is the last question; how many seconds did it take (after starting his decent) for the man to hit the ground?

x = vot + 1/2at^2
13.3448 = 0t + 1/2 (9.8)t^2
t = 1.65 s

That is incorrect...

southernguy13 said:
What I can't figure out is the last question; how many seconds did it take (after starting his decent) for the man to hit the ground?

x = vot + 1/2at^2
13.3448 = 0t + 1/2 (9.8)t^2
t = 1.65 s

That is incorrect...
You need to figure out his acceleration. It's not 9.8! (Use the same method as in part A.)

Yes! Thank you

Related to 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley

1. What is 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley?

1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley is a type of motion in which an object moves along a single axis, while being connected to a pulley system. The pulley system consists of a fixed pulley and a movable pulley, which are used to change the direction of motion and/or increase or decrease the force required to move the object.

2. How does a pulley affect the motion of an object?

A pulley affects the motion of an object by changing the direction of the applied force and/or increasing or decreasing the force required to move the object. This is due to the fact that the pulley changes the direction of the tension force acting on the object, which in turn affects the net force and acceleration of the object.

3. What are some examples of 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley?

Examples of 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley include a simple elevator system, a flagpole with a pulley system to raise and lower the flag, and a weight being lifted using a pulley. In each of these examples, the object is moving along a single axis and is connected to a pulley system to change the direction of motion and/or increase or decrease the force required to move the object.

4. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of an object in 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of an object in 1 Dimensional Motion with Pulley is a = (m1-m2)/m1, where m1 is the mass of the moving object and m2 is the mass of the counterweight. This equation takes into account the effect of the pulley on the net force and acceleration of the object.

5. How does the mass of the pulley affect the motion of the object?

The mass of the pulley does not have a direct effect on the motion of the object. However, the mass of the pulley does contribute to the overall mass of the system, which can affect the acceleration of the object. A heavier pulley may require more force to move the object, resulting in a slower acceleration. However, in most cases, the mass of the pulley is negligible compared to the mass of the object being moved.