1 integral (easy) + a few precalculus problems.

In summary, the Canadian goose population has increased exponentially over the past few decades, and an approximation to the population growth can be found using this graph.
Fishingaxe

Homework Statement

Problem 1.

Calculate:
∫ 6x^2dx
Problem 2.

Solve as far as you can(simplify the problem):
(x-3)(x+2)/2x-6

Problem 3.

The Canadian goose came to sweden in the 1930's. Afterwhich the population of the bird increased. At the same time every year they count the amount of goose and how much it has increased. The populations growth can be described with an exponential model.

The chart below shows the amount of goose "K" as a function of time in years "t", where t=0 is the year 1977.

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/9809/6dnz.jpg

a) Determine an approximation to K'(30) with the help of this picture.

b) Explain what K'(20)=800 describes.

The Attempt at a Solution

2 2
∫ 6x^2dx [2x^3] = 2*2^3 - (2*1^3) = 14 ae (area units). I realize now as I'm writing this that
1 1

it's solved. I was stumbled and thought I got it wrong, but I'm just tired of studying all day I guess.

2. (x-3)(x+2)/2x-6 = x^2 -x -6/2x-6 = x^2 - x / 2x

After these steps I'm thinking about breaking out the x, like x(x-1) / x(2) and let the x's take each other out but that would leave the answer to be x-1/2 and the answer is supposed to be x+2/2.

3. a)
b) I think K'(20)=800 is how much growth the gooses do per year at the year 20.

About "a" though. I don't know how to figure this out, it's supposedly very easy but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fishingaxe! :smile:
Fishingaxe said:
Problem 2.

Solve as far as you can(simplify the problem):
(x-3)(x+2)/2x-6

2. (x-3)(x+2)/2x-6 = x^2 -x -6/2x-6 = x^2 - x / 2x

why are you making it more complicated?? :redface:

(you're supposed to be simplifying it :rolleyes:)

try simplifying the bottom :wink:

(and then get some sleep! :zzz:)
3. a)
b) I think K'(20)=800 is how much growth the gooses do per year at the year 20.

yes, except of course that's an average, it's not the amount in any particular year …

it's approximately 16 geese a week :wink:
About "a" though. I don't know how to figure this out, it's supposedly very easy but I don't know.

the derivative is the slope of the tangent to the curve

sooo … draw the tangent, then measure the slope by counting those little squares! :smile:

Omg, of course, how can I miss that. That is just redicilous! Thanks man.

About 3. a) I don't know. Am I supposed to draw the derivitive functions line? and if so, how do I get the function? I am still lost in this.

Hi Fishingaxe! :smile:
Fishingaxe said:
… Am I supposed to draw the derivitive functions line? and if so, how do I get the function?

No, you don't have to draw the derivative function.

You only need to draw the tangent of the original function (at the particular pont you're interested in).

The tan of the angle of that tangent is the derivative at that point. :wink:

(try it eg with y = x2 on graph-paper)

Okay, I get it, or at least some of it. The derivitive is of course the angle of that tangent. If I draw a tangent there, I still fail to see how I can solve K'(30). You said count the squares, how exactly does that work? I draw the tangent until it reaches y=0? I really need step for step here.

Fishingaxe said:
You said count the squares, how exactly does that work? I draw the tangent until it reaches y=0?

Yes, in this case you may as well extend it to y = 0, to get the maximum accuracy.

Then count how many squares along it goes, and how many up (to the nearest one-tenth), and divide! :smile:

The answer is supposed to be 1700. How are u supposed to get to know the number of squares going up and sideways(along)? Since depending on how you interperpt them they can go either up and sideways? I'm sorry for being slow.

Draw a triangle with the point in question at the top, the tangent at that point as the hypotenuse, and the vertical from that point and y = 0 as the two sides.

Count the number of squares along the horizontal and vertical sides, and use the scale to decide what they mean. :smile:

(and yes i get about 1700)

I may need to take a serious nap! My problem is the squares. As I said previously, the number of squares that goes vertical and horizontal are the exact same ammount, right? I drew the triangle as you said.

I am taking a nap now, I am too lost. Can't think straight.

Thanks for the help tiny-tim. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get it when I wake up! (have a big test tomorrow)

For your first problem, that is just a power rule.

Fishingaxe said:
I may need to take a serious nap! My problem is the squares. As I said previously, the number of squares that goes vertical and horizontal are the exact same ammount, right? I drew the triangle as you said.

I am taking a nap now, I am too lost. Can't think straight.

Thanks for the help tiny-tim. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get it when I wake up! (have a big test tomorrow)

Before you take your test, make sure you force yourself to use parentheses, so you don't write things like
[tex] \frac{(x-3)(x+2)}{2x}-6 \; \leftarrow \;\text{ yes, that IS what you wrote!}[/tex]
instead of
[tex] \frac{(x-3)(x+2)}{2x-6} [/tex]
which, I guess, is what you intended. Just use parentheses, like this: (x-3)(x+2)/(2x-6). It might save you from losing marks needlessly.

Related to 1 integral (easy) + a few precalculus problems.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of something over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It also involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which relates integrals to derivatives.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give you a function.

4. What is precalculus?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and geometry, which are essential for understanding calculus. It is considered a bridge between basic and advanced math concepts.

5. Why is it important to know how to solve integrals and precalculus problems?

Integrals and precalculus problems are crucial for understanding and solving more advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus and physics. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied in various fields of science and engineering.