1 of 3: Force of Gravity and Acceleration. Help

In summary, to find the magnitude of acceleration due to the Sun's gravity when adrift in the solar system at the same distance from the Sun as the Earth, you can use Newton's law of gravitation (F=GmM/r^2) and then use F=ma to solve for acceleration. Your mass does not need to be specified since it cancels out in the equation.
Idioticsmartie

Homework Statement

a) You are adrift in the solar system with no planet nearby and you are out at the same distance from the Sun as the Earth. What is the magnitude of acceleration due to the Sun's gravity you experience?

Homework Equations

Earth-Sun distance = 1.50 x 10[tex]^{11}[/tex]
M[tex]_{sun}[/tex] = 2.00 x 10[tex]^{30}[/tex] kg
R[tex]_{sun}[/tex] = 6.96 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex]
a = v[tex]^{2}[/tex]/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm pretty lost at the moment as to how to find the magnitude of acceleration. Does it matter that they don't specify what "your" mass is? A nudge in the right direction would be wonderful - I could probably figure it out from there. I don't want someone to do the problem for me, because I'd like to be able to figure it out on my own.

And I think that F = ma has something to do with this and centripetal acceleration, obviously, but I'm not sure how you find out what the velocity is. Help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no rotation mentioned here. The law you want is Newton's law of gravitation. F=GmM/r^2. Use F=ma to go from force to acceleration.

So,

F = ma

ma = (GmM)/r^2

Is this correct?

Andn what mass do I put in for myself?

Yeah, that's right. Your mass is the little m, which will cancel in your equation above, so you don't need a value for it.

Do you need a mass for yourself? There's m on the left and right...

Related to 1 of 3: Force of Gravity and Acceleration. Help

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the attraction between two objects due to their mass. It is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects to fall towards the ground and keeps planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation: F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Acceleration can be caused by a change in speed, direction, or both.

4. How does acceleration relate to the force of gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is a specific type of acceleration that occurs when an object is falling towards the ground. It is caused by the force of gravity pulling the object towards the center of the Earth. The acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) near the surface of the Earth.

5. How is acceleration due to gravity different on other planets?

Acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets due to differences in mass and distance from the center of the planet. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Mars is about 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is about 24.8 m/s^2. This means that objects will fall faster on Jupiter compared to Mars due to the stronger force of gravity.