-17.2.01 Solve the given equation by the method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, we are solving a second-order linear ordinary differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients. We find the particular solution to be a constant, and using the principle of superposition, we combine it with the homogeneous solution to obtain the final solution.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{17.2.01}\\$
$\textrm{ Solve the given equation by the method of undetermined coefficients.}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
y''+7y'+10y&=80
\end{align*}
$\textit{this is in the form}$
x^2+7x+10&=0\\
(x+2)(x+5)&=0
\end{align*}
$\textit{this is a second-order linear ordinary differential equation so}$
y& = c_1 e^{-5 x} + c_2 e^{-2 x}+8
\end{align*}

ok I know stuff is missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You look at what's on the RHS and see it is a constant, and you also note that no term of the homogeneous solution is a constant, therefore you assume the particular solution must be a constant:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=A\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle y_p'(x)=0\)

\(\displaystyle y_p''(x)=0\)

Substituting $y_p$ into the ODE, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 0+0+10A=80\implies A=8\)

Add so we have:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=8\)

Now, using the principle of superposition, we find the solution to the ODE to be:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)=c_1e^{-5x}+c_2e^{-2x}+8\)

think I got it
let me try another one.

my class here is over so it will the Summer of Review..

and a peek thru the door of Calc III

of which I have heard horror stories:eek:

karush said:
think I got it
let me try another one.

my class here is over so it will the Summer of Review..

and a peek thru the door of Calc III

of which I have heard horror stories:eek:

When I was in school, my classmates were mixed about which was more difficult, Calc II or Calc III...I personally thought Calc II was a bit more difficult of the two. :)

Related to -17.2.01 Solve the given equation by the method of undetermined coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve a linear, non-homogeneous differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by guessing a form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

The method of undetermined coefficients is typically used when the equation is non-homogeneous, meaning it has a non-zero constant term, and the coefficients are constant and the same for each term.

3. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

In the method of undetermined coefficients, a particular solution is guessed based on the form of the non-homogeneous term. The coefficients of the guessed solution are then solved for by substituting it into the original equation. The solution is then added to the complementary function (general solution of the associated homogeneous equation) to get the complete solution.

4. What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used for non-homogeneous equations with constant coefficients, while the method of variation of parameters is used for non-homogeneous equations with variable coefficients. The method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing a particular solution, while the method of variation of parameters involves finding a solution by varying the parameters of the complementary function.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients?

Yes, there are limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients. It can only be used for linear, non-homogeneous equations with constant coefficients and the guessed form of the particular solution must not already be a part of the complementary function. If these conditions are not met, then other methods such as variation of parameters or the method of annihilators may need to be used.