18-Year-Old Exploring Science for Career Choice

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in physics and genetic biology and their struggle to find a career in STEM fields due to economic factors and past academic experiences. However, the speaker advises the listener to follow their passion and carefully consider their options in order to find a fulfilling career. The speaker also shares their own career journey and encourages the listener to be open to unexpected opportunities and to be proactive in their career choices.
J.E
Hi, Iam currently 18 years old. I've always craved knowledge, and as a 12 year old I discovered physics in the light that I see it today. Iam taking courses in math and physics because I really want to work as a scientist.
But Iam not sure if that's what I want in the end, Iam really interested in genetic biology too.
So, my question is: How do you feel about your career choice and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Career choice? Man, I'd take any STEM career I could get. Unfortunately, after years of searching and applying, I have not been able to land anything of the sort. My problem is that I washed out of a PhD program so my masters degree is a lame non-terminal masters degree. I flirt with the idea of going back to school for engineering and I probably should, but money is certainly an issue at this point.

Have you read the "So you want to be a physicist?" post?

Last edited:
J.E said:

Which career choice? How about this one:

The smartest career move I ever made was leaving physics.

At 18 I was also interested in physics and "genetic biology". I mean, who are cooler than Newton, Einstein and Darwin? It might be best just taking a BSc in genetics, but you can keep your options open by taking a course like the Natural Science Tripos at Cambridge:

http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/subject-information/part-ia

If you do mostly physics at BSc, you could take a conversion course at MSc level, in bioinformatics & genetics, IF YOU ARE STILL FASCINATED BY THE SUBJECT. That there is a such a course indicates that it's a really hot area at the moment, so you might even get a job in it! Check out courses like:

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/teaching/postgraduate/moleculargenetics/

Whatever you do at BSc, make sure you choose what you are *really* interested in. Both physics and "genetic biology" are great to take if you eventually want to get a "real job" (programming, finance...), so study either, or both if you remain interested in both.

There are enough options out there to allow you study what you really want to study, just check the promising university sites carefully to see that you get to study what you are really interested in... for instance if you are interested in General Relativity, make sure you can take a course in GR in your final year. If you are interested in mathematical models of evolution & genetics, make sure you can actually take courses in these. Flexible universities should allow you study genetics and GR, if that floats your boat. (It certainly would have floated my boat, but I had to study them in my spare time my University as they didn't enable such flexibility of study!)

In summary, follow your passion, and choose carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
J.E said:
Hi, Iam currently 18 years old...
What I wish people had told me when I was 18: the option to choose your career is a rare privilege.

Quite a bit of my career "choices" were made for me by economic factors and random luck. But you don't have to be completely helpless - you can exert some influence over your options. My strategy was, roughly, to make three lists: things I think are worth doing, things someone might pay me to do, and things I have a reasonable chance of actually doing. Then find the intersection of those lists. If it is empty, then make the lists bigger.

For example, quantum mechanics is on one or maybe two of those lists. It's unlikely I'll ever have a career in quantum mechanics, but I don't regret spending years learning it. It was worth doing, it taught me a lot about probability/statistics, and probability/statistics is on all three lists.

Thank you all for such great answers! I really need to think about this, it appears that a physicist doesn't have a great deal of space in the "viable job"-market. I don't want to be some guy that people call for mathquestions when I've studied physics for 5 years.

NegativeDept said:
Quite a bit of my career "choices" were made for me by economic factors and random luck. But you don't have to be completely helpless - you can exert some influence over your options.

This sums up my pathway pretty well. Upon finishing high school, my university application preference list contained medicine, engineering, pharmacy and actuarial science (You can already tell that I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to do). I wasn't accepted into the one medical school I applied to, so I ended up studying chemical engineering and finance, with plans of becoming a chemical engineer in either the pharmaceutical or mining industry. It turned out that I did quite well in my first few years of study, but wasn't convinced that chemical engineering was for me--I decided that I was going to be an investment banker! I continued to do well at university and was fortunate enough to win a few scholarships and internships with Supermajor oil and gas companies (O&G is a big thing at my university). At this stage I rediscovered chemical engineering, and decided that I'd work for a Supermajor when I graduated. Now, with 6 months before I graduate, I have secured a graduate job with a top management consulting firm.

Had you asked me 6 years ago whether I'd be working in consulting in 6 years time, I would have said "What is consulting?"

So, as you can see, my path was never really clearly defined and was very strongly influenced by external factors. Sure, some people have an idea from the start and do stick to it (I sometimes wish that I was like this), however my path is full of twists and turns because of unexpected opportunities that arose along the way, discovery of new interests, and the external environment.

I guess my point is: pick a starting point that you're interested in, and then be proactive as you move along that path, making any twists and turns as required.

FAQ: 18-Year-Old Exploring Science for Career Choice

1. What are the benefits of exploring science as a career choice at 18 years old?

Exploring science as a career choice at 18 years old allows you to gain a better understanding of the various fields within science and helps you determine if it is the right path for you. It also gives you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication that are highly valued in the scientific community.

2. What types of jobs are available in the field of science for an 18-year-old?

There are a wide variety of jobs available in the field of science for an 18-year-old, including lab technicians, research assistants, science communicators, and data analysts. Depending on your interests and skills, you can also pursue careers in fields like biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and more.

3. How can exploring science at 18 years old help with future career opportunities?

Exploring science at 18 years old can help with future career opportunities by providing you with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills in the field. This can make you a more competitive candidate for internships, research positions, and graduate programs, which can open up a variety of career opportunities in the future.

4. What resources are available for an 18-year-old to explore science for a career choice?

There are numerous resources available for an 18-year-old to explore science for a career choice, such as science camps, internships, workshops, and online courses. Your school or local community may also offer science clubs or mentorship programs that can provide valuable guidance and support in your exploration.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific major or degree to pursue a career in science at 18 years old?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific major or degree to pursue a career in science at 18 years old. Many entry-level positions in the field of science only require a high school diploma or some college coursework. However, having a degree in a specific field of science can open up more advanced career opportunities and may be necessary for certain positions.