|1s> -> |2p> transition probabilities

In summary, the problem is to calculate the probability of finding a hydrogen atom in a 2p state at t=\inf when it is initially in the ground state at t=-\inf. The atom is placed in a time-dependent homogeneous electric field along the \hat{z} direction. By using the appropriate wavefunctions and Hamiltonian elements, the interaction term in the Hamiltonian can be calculated and the resulting probability can be obtained.
cscott

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is placed in a time-dependent homogeneous electric field given by [itex]\epsilon = \epsilon_0 (t^2 + \tau^2)^{-1}[/itex] where [itex]\epsilon_0,\tau[/itex] are constants. If the atom is in the ground state at [itex]t=-\inf[/itex], obtain the probability that it ill be found in a 2p state at [itex]t=\inf[/itex]. Assume that the electric field is along the [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] direction.

Homework Equations

[tex]\dot{|2p>} = \int_{\inf}^{\inf} H'_{2p,1s} e^{-i \omega_{2p,1s}} dt[/tex]

[tex]H'_{2p,1s} = <2p|H'|1s>[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

Firstly I'm confused with the assumption of field direction and how I get it into the solution. Maybe this is the source of my troubles...

By taking [itex]H'(t)= q\epsilon_0 (t^2 + \tau^2)^{-1}[/itex] I get zero for a transition between [itex]|1s>[/itex] and [itex]|2p0>, |2p\pm1>[/itex] because I get Hamiltonian elements of zero.

[itex]|2p0>[/itex] has a [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] factor so upon integration in spherical,

[tex]\int_0^\pi \sin \theta d\theta \cos \theta = 0[/tex]

and [itex]|2p\pm 1>[/itex] has the [itex]e^{\pm i\phi}[/itex] factor,

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} e^{\pm i\phi} d\phi = 0[/tex]

Am I simply right or really missing something? The question gives the time integral result so it seems like Hamiltonian elements shouldn't be zero...

I'm using the wavefunctions from here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydwf.html#c3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:
Firstly I'm confused with the assumption of field direction and how I get it into the solution. Maybe this is the source of my troubles...

By taking [itex]H'(t)= q\epsilon_0 (t^2 + \tau^2)^{-1}[/itex] I get zero for a transition between [itex]|1s>[/itex] and [itex]|2p0>, |2p\pm1>[/itex] because I get Hamiltonian elements of zero.

The interaction term in the Hamiltonian should be such that the electron couples to the electric potential. The resulting matrix elements will no longer vanish.

FAQ: |1s> -> |2p> transition probabilities

What is the |1s> -> |2p> transition probability?

The |1s> -> |2p> transition probability is a measure of the likelihood that an electron will transition from the ground state (|1s>) to the first excited state (|2p>). It is calculated by taking the square of the transition matrix element, which represents the strength of the interaction between the two states.

How is the |1s> -> |2p> transition probability calculated?

The |1s> -> |2p> transition probability is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The transition matrix element is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the two states and then taking the square of the resulting wavefunction overlap.

What factors affect the |1s> -> |2p> transition probability?

The |1s> -> |2p> transition probability can be affected by a variety of factors, including the energy difference between the two states, the shape and size of the electron orbitals, and the presence of external electric or magnetic fields. It can also be affected by the presence of other particles, such as other electrons or atomic nuclei, that may interact with the transitioning electron.

Why is the |1s> -> |2p> transition important in atomic physics?

The |1s> -> |2p> transition is an important process in atomic physics because it is responsible for many of the spectral lines observed in atomic spectra. These transitions can provide valuable information about the energy levels and structure of atoms, and are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications, such as spectroscopy and laser technology.

How can the |1s> -> |2p> transition probability be experimentally measured?

The |1s> -> |2p> transition probability can be measured experimentally using techniques such as absorption or emission spectroscopy. In these experiments, the energy of a photon absorbed or emitted by an atom during the transition is measured, which can then be used to calculate the transition probability. Other methods, such as electron scattering experiments, can also be used to determine the transition probability by measuring the scattering cross section of the electron as it transitions between the two states.

Back