1st Law of Thermodynamics question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rigid vessel containing 0.1kg of air initially at 1bar and 20degC. A heat transfer increases the temperature to 1000degC and the conversation focuses on determining the type of process the gas undergoes, as well as calculating the initial and final volume, final pressure, change in internal energy and enthalpy, and work and heat transfers. It is revealed that air is essentially a diatomic gas and the molar heat capacity at constant volume should be 2.5R instead of 1.5R.
Jamessamuel

Homework Statement

A rigid vessel contains 0.1kg of air initially at 1bar and 20degC. A heat transfer to the gas
increases the temperature to 1000degC. What type of process does the gas undergo ? Calculate
(i) the initial and final volume of the air
(ii) the final pressure
(iii) the change in internal energy and enthalpy
(iv) the work and heat transfers

Homework Equations

1st law eqn

The Attempt at a Solution

i) pV = nRT using T = 293.15K and finding n using the molar air mass, p is given as 1 bar.
solution is around 0.084 m^3 (2sf) , (V = nRT/p)

ii) constant vol, so p/T = const. using the initial and final states, finding the 2nd pressure results from some simple calculations i.e p(2) = p(1)/T(1) * T(2).
solution is aorund 4.4bar. so far so good.

iii) this is where the books' answer and my own are different.
My solution:
change in internal energy = mass * specific heat at constant vol * temp change
mass = 0.1kg
temp change = 980
SH =1.5R where R = univ. gas constant / molar mass(air) = 8.3145/0.02897
giving SH = 430.5 (4sf)
hence change in internal energy = 42 kJ(2sf) (multiplying the three terms)
The book gives 70.6kJ?
for the enthalpy, continuing with my solution, it is = change in internal energy + any work done
but no work is done, so the enthalpy = the heat transfer is the change in internal energy (const.volume)
hence equals 42kJ.
The book gives 99kJ?

iv) i said no work done, so did book. the book said the heat transfer is 70.6kJ? i would have said my 42kJ.also, despite the question being in the 1st law part, i thought that only applied at constant pressure? so can't i apply it here?

i appreciate I am asking a lot, any help appreciated.

Regards,

James.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account that air is essentially a diatomic gas?

Change in enthalpy is not always equal to the change in internal energy plus the work done. Recall the definition of enthalpy in terms of internal energy, pressure, and volume.

The first law is a general law of thermodynamics. It is not restricted to constant pressure processes.

do you agree with my internal energy solution? (iii part 1), or does the diatomic property influence the solution method?

In your solution to (iii) you did not use the correct molar heat capacity for a diatomic gas at constant volume. It is not 1.5R.

ok, i did some research;

for a monatomic gas the molecules only have 3 degrees of freedom corresponding to translational kinetic energy in 3 dimensions. But for a diatomic gas, there are 5- 2 extra degrees of rotational freedom. Am i right in assuming that air is a composition of diatomic molecules, and that my appended molar heat capacity should not be 1.5R, but 2.5R?

my way of justifying the idea that each degree of freedom corresponds to 0.5R of the energy is that we assume that the gas is isotropic, hence the contributions from each dimension are equally weighted.

Yes, 2.5R. This ignores the vibrational degree of freedom of nitrogen and oxygen http://scied.ucar.edu/molecular-vibration-modes. The vibrational modes can be ignored at room temperature. In this problem the temperature goes to 1000 oC. I'm not sure if it's safe to ignore the vibrational mode at this temperature. But, anyway, I think you will get the answers provided if you use 2.5R for the molar heat capacity at constant volume.

I found these tables:
https://www.ohio.edu/mechanical/thermo/property_tables/air/air_Cp_Cv.html.
http://www.nist.gov/data/PDFfiles/jpcrd581.pdf (page 367)

These tables show that the heat capacity at constant volume for air increases by about 25% as the temperature increases from 20 oC to 1000 oC. But I don't think you are meant to worry about this in your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 1st Law of Thermodynamics question

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. What are the implications of the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The implications of the First Law of Thermodynamics are that energy is a finite resource and cannot be created or destroyed, so it must be carefully managed and conserved. It also means that all energy transformations involve some form of energy loss.

3. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of energy efficiency?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is directly related to the concept of energy efficiency. Since energy cannot be created or destroyed, any energy that is not used efficiently will result in wasted energy and potential energy loss. Therefore, maximizing energy efficiency is crucial in conserving resources and reducing energy waste.

4. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and proven to be true in countless experiments and observations. Any apparent violations of this law are due to incomplete understanding or measurement errors.

5. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to living organisms as well. Organisms must constantly consume energy in the form of food to sustain their biological processes and maintain their internal body temperature. This energy is then converted and used for various functions, but the total amount of energy in the system remains constant. Any excess energy is released as heat. Therefore, living organisms also follow the Law of Conservation of Energy.