2- butoxyethanol alternative wanted

• Thread starter rvb1960
  • Start date
In summary, Ron from the Netherlands is looking for a less toxic alternative to 2-butoxyethanol as a solvent in his cleaning product formula. He wants the new compound to still have the same benefits of degreasing and wetting, but be more human and environmentally friendly. He suggests d-limonene or n-propanol as potential alternatives and is asking for input on their qualities compared to butylglycol.
rvb1960
Hello, I'm Ron from the Netherlands. I am in search. I'm producing a cleaning product for the industry. It's an all purpose cleaner. I was using 2-butoxyethanol as an solvent in the formula. I want to replace it for a less toxic and more human friendly chemical compound. Of course the new compound must still work fine as a degreasing and wetting agent. So still the benefits of 2-butoxyethanol but better for human and of course the environment. Thanks in advance.

Maybe d-limonene or n-propanol is a good less hazardous alternative for 2-butoxyethanol? Can somebody tell me if these 2 alternatives have the same qualities as
the butylglycol?

Related to 2- butoxyethanol alternative wanted

1. What is 2-butoxyethanol and why is an alternative wanted?

2-butoxyethanol is a colorless liquid chemical commonly used as a solvent in various industries, such as cleaning products, paints, and cosmetics. It has been found to have potential health and environmental risks, leading to a demand for safer alternatives.

2. Are there any alternatives currently available?

Yes, there are several alternatives to 2-butoxyethanol that have been developed and are being used in various products. Some examples include ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, propylene glycol ethers, and terpenes.

3. What are the benefits of using an alternative to 2-butoxyethanol?

The main benefit of using an alternative to 2-butoxyethanol is the reduction of potential health and environmental risks. Many of the alternatives are also biodegradable and have less odor and volatility compared to 2-butoxyethanol.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an alternative?

While alternatives to 2-butoxyethanol may have less health and environmental risks, they may also have their own unique drawbacks. For example, some alternatives may not be as effective as 2-butoxyethanol in certain applications.

5. What steps are being taken to find a suitable alternative to 2-butoxyethanol?

There is ongoing research and development in the industry to find safer and more effective alternatives to 2-butoxyethanol. Many companies are also looking into sustainable and renewable options, such as using natural solvents derived from plants.