2 card hand probability question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the probability of getting at least one ace in a 2 card hand. One person suggests calculating it directly by multiplying the possibilities for the first and second card and dividing by 2!, while the other suggests subtracting the probability of getting 0 aces from 1. The first method is incorrect because it does not properly consider the order of the cards.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is just a sort of clarification question: suppose I wanted to know the probability of getting at least one ace in a 2card hand. My question is : can this be calculated directly or would I need to use the complement?

Calculating directly, I said for the first card of the two there are 4 possibilities and for the second there are 51 possibilities so the required amount of hands is 4x51. I think this needs to be divided by 2! because I am not considering order.

The probability would then be [tex] \frac{\frac{4×51}{2!}}{(52 choose 2)}, [/tex] could someone tell me whether this is correct or not. When I use it as part of a later question, I get the wrong answer.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You could calculate it directly but why would you want to? It is much easier to calculate the probability of getting 0 aces and subtracting that from 1. And no, your answer isn't correct.

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

This is just a sort of clarification question: suppose I wanted to know the probability of getting at least one ace in a 2card hand. My question is : can this be calculated directly or would I need to use the complement?

Calculating directly, I said for the first card of the two there are 4 possibilities and for the second there are 51 possibilities so the required amount of hands is 4x51. I think this needs to be divided by 2! because I am not considering order.

The probability would then be [tex] \frac{\frac{4×51}{2!}}{(52 choose 2)}, [/tex] could someone tell me whether this is correct or not. When I use it as part of a later question, I get the wrong answer.
Thanks

Note that {1 ace} = {AN or NA}, so P{1 ace} = P{AN} + P{NA}; here A = Ace, N = non-ace. Of course,
P{AN} = P{A first}*P{N second|A first}, etc.
P{2 aces} = P{AA}.
Or, as LCKurtz has suggested, compute 1 - P{NN}, which is a bit easier.

RGV

Last edited:
What exactly does my method fail to consider? Given that the question is probability that at least one ace is in a 2 card hand we have 4 possibilities for the first card (one of them must be ace) and 51 for the other card. Divide by 2! to neglect order and divide by sample space.

CAF123 said:
What exactly does my method fail to consider? Given that the question is probability that at least one ace is in a 2 card hand we have 4 possibilities for the first card (one of them must be ace) and 51 for the other card. Divide by 2! to neglect order and divide by sample space.

Let's call the ace of spades AS, ace of hearts AH and one of spades 1S. Then your 4*51 count includes {AS,AH} and {AH,AS}, so you want to divide that case by two. On the other hand, it only contains {AS,1S} NOT {1S,AS}. So dividing by two in that case is a mistake. You are bunching too many cases together.

Last edited:

Related to 2 card hand probability question

1. What is the probability of getting a pair in a 2 card hand?

The probability of getting a pair in a 2 card hand is approximately 42.3%. This means that in a sample of 100 hands, you can expect to get a pair in about 42 of them.

2. How do you calculate the probability of getting a specific card in a 2 card hand?

To calculate the probability of getting a specific card in a 2 card hand, you need to know the total number of cards in the deck and the number of cards of that specific rank. Then, divide the number of cards of that rank by the total number of cards in the deck.

3. What is the probability of getting a flush in a 2 card hand?

The probability of getting a flush in a 2 card hand is approximately 0.2%. This means that in a sample of 100 hands, you can expect to get a flush in about 0.2 of them.

4. How do you calculate the probability of getting a straight in a 2 card hand?

To calculate the probability of getting a straight in a 2 card hand, you need to know the total number of possible combinations of cards and the number of combinations that make a straight. Then, divide the number of straight combinations by the total number of possible combinations.

5. What is the probability of getting two cards of the same suit in a 2 card hand?

The probability of getting two cards of the same suit in a 2 card hand is approximately 23.5%. This means that in a sample of 100 hands, you can expect to get two cards of the same suit in about 23 of them.