2-D Poisson Equation Boundary Value Prob

In summary: This is an infinite sum, but often it is possible to truncate the sum after a few terms, depending on the function f(x,y).For the complimentary function F_c, you will want to find a family of eigenfunctions \psi_{nm}(x,y) such that\nabla^2 \psi_{nm} = k_{nm}\psi_{nm}and such that \psi_{nm} vanishes on the boundary. You can then take a linear combination of these so thatF_c(x,y) = \sum_{n}\sum_m B_{nm} \psi_{nm}(x,y)with the B_{nm} chosen so that F_c satisfies the given boundary conditions. Again, this will be an infinite
Chingon

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
2F/∂x2 + ∂2F/∂y2 = f(x,y)

Boundary Conditions:
F=Fo for x=0
F=0 for x=a
∂F/∂y=0 for y=0 and y=b

Homework Equations

How can I find Eigengunctions of F(x,y) for expansion along Y in terms of X?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't imagine what the Fourier transform of the generic f(x,y) looks like. Once this is done I'm supposed to be left with an ODE which is solvable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so based on my boundary conditions, I think I have to expand f(x,y) as a double Fourier cosine expansion, so:

f(x,y)= 1/2Ʃ(C2cos(n∏x/a) + C3cos(n∏y/b)) + ƩƩC4cos(m∏x/a)cos(n∏y/b)

Also, I can let F(x,y)=u(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)

Plugging that into the original Poisson equation I end up with:
1/X(x)∂2X/∂x2 + 1/Y(y)∂2Y/∂y2 = f(x,y)/X(x)Y(y)

I think I'm doing something wrong by having the right-hand side of the Poisson equation equal to f(x,y)/F(x,y). It's also not clear to me if I can solve for any of the Fourier expansion coefficients or reduce the equation...

Ok, so since ∂F/∂y = 0, that means it has a homogeneous solution of the form
Y=Ʃcos(n∏y/(b/2)) correct?

So that would cancel out the Y terms in the Fourier Expansion of f(x,y)?

Chingon said:

Homework Statement

Solve the equation:
2F/∂x2 + ∂2F/∂y2 = f(x,y)

Boundary Conditions:
F=Fo for x=0
F=0 for x=a
∂F/∂y=0 for y=0 and y=b

As with inhomogeneous linear ODEs, Poisson's equation can be solved by taking a particular solution [itex]F_p[/itex] with
[tex]
\nabla^2 F_p = f(x,y)
[/tex]
subject to [itex]F_p = 0[/itex] on the boundary, and adding a complimentary function [itex]F_c[/itex] where
[tex]
\nabla^2 F_c = 0
[/tex]
subject to the given boundary conditions for [itex]F[/itex].

To find [itex]F_p[/itex], you will want to find a family of eigenfunctions [itex]\phi_{nm}(x,y)[/itex] such that
[tex]
\nabla^2 \phi_{nm} = k_{nm}\phi_{nm}
[/tex]
and such that [itex]\phi_{nm}[/itex] vanishes on the boundary. You can then take a linear combination of these so that
[tex]
F_p(x,y) = \sum_{n}\sum_m A_{nm} \phi_{nm}(x,y)
[/tex]
with the [itex]A_{nm}[/itex] chosen so that [itex]\nabla^2 F_p = f(x,y)[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to 2-D Poisson Equation Boundary Value Prob

1. What is the 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem?

The 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to the 2-dimensional Poisson equation subject to specified boundary conditions. The equation is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications to model the behavior of various physical systems.

2. What is the difference between the 2-D Poisson equation and the 3-D Poisson equation?

The main difference between the 2-D and 3-D Poisson equations is the dimensionality of the systems they model. The 2-D Poisson equation is used to describe physical systems that have two spatial dimensions, while the 3-D Poisson equation is used for systems with three spatial dimensions.

3. How is the 2-D Poisson equation solved?

The 2-D Poisson equation can be solved using a variety of numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve discretizing the problem into a finite number of smaller equations that can be solved using computer algorithms.

4. What are the applications of the 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem?

The 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem has many applications in science and engineering, including electrostatics, heat transfer, fluid flow, and image processing. It is also used in the solution of partial differential equations and in the field of computational physics.

5. What are the boundary conditions in the 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem?

The boundary conditions in the 2-D Poisson equation boundary value problem specify the values of the solution at the boundaries of the physical system being modeled. These conditions can be either Dirichlet boundary conditions, where the solution is known at the boundary, or Neumann boundary conditions, where the derivative of the solution is known at the boundary.