2-Dimensional Motion (non-trajectory)

• Thread starter joeG215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: If he doesn't paddle, his velocity is entirely 2 in the y-direction, so his initial x-component of velocity must be zero.
joeG215

Homework Statement

A kayaker 120 m east and 350 m kayaker is moving with the current at 2 m/s to the south. He begins to paddle west, giving the kayak an acceleration of 0.2m/s^2.

I need to find all the components for two events.. t1, t2, rsub1x,rsub2x,rsub1y,rsub2y, vsub2x, ect... up to a(sub12x) a(sub12y)

Homework Equations

Two vector equations :

d=Vnot0 +1/2at^2
V=Vnot0 +at

The Attempt at a Solution

Im guessing his location from his house is irrelevant(this problem has no "question").
I added the two vectors using 15s as my time and used pyth: 2^2 + (45/2)^2=d^2 and got 22.6m as the displacement.

Then i added the initial velocity 2m/s and the acc/time .2m/s^2(15s) and got 3.6 m/s as the final velocity.

I'm still confused with components and vectors. Is this right? How do I go about finding the components?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi joeG215! :smile:

(there seem to be some words missing from the question :confused:)
joeG215 said:
A kayaker 120 m east and 350 m kayaker is moving with the current at 2 m/s to the south. He begins to paddle west, giving the kayak an acceleration of 0.2m/s^2.

I added the two vectors using 15s as my time and used pyth: 2^2 + (45/2)^2=d^2 and got 22.6m as the displacement. …

No, you don't need the displacement …

just use the components …

you have a constant speed south, and an acceleration west. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi joeG215! :smile:

(there seem to be some words missing from the question :confused:)

lol that's what it looks like I know.. Ill try a link to the question --> http://file.taskstream.com/file/bclp85Uht2h0HjqkivMmdw75My3rhxcWnd3judYv9tl7Ma7stwRa8t2scNy6977cOacou3bFvb98bdWcm63scD49n0adLevxpyAuveeabYa5cbubReeqoddZm5grycZ0gxo0U7bygabXb9ci/2d_Motion_Modeling_Task_9_16_09.JPG"

If you can point me in the right direction that would be great.. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
joeG215 said:
lol that's what it looks like I know.. Ill try a link to the question --> http://file.taskstream.com/file/bclp85Uht2h0HjqkivMmdw75My3rhxcWnd3judYv9tl7Ma7stwRa8t2scNy6977cOacou3bFvb98bdWcm63scD49n0adLevxpyAuveeabYa5cbubReeqoddZm5grycZ0gxo0U7bygabXb9ci/2d_Motion_Modeling_Task_9_16_09.JPG"

erm :redface:
File Access Expires
Access to this file has expired. To obtain access, reopen the original lesson or folio.

tiny-tim said:
erm :redface:

lol ok.. Ill try one more time http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp13/j2bear15/2d_Motion_Modeling_Task_9_16_09.jpg"

A kayaker 120 m east and 350 m north of home kayaker is moving with the current at 2 m/s to the south …

ok :rolleyes:

so the x is 120 and the y is 350 …

you have a constant speed south, and an acceleration west …

just use the standard constant acceleration equations :smile:

can i assume initial velocity on the x to be 0?

joeG215 said:
can i assume initial velocity on the x to be 0?

Yes of course …

if he doesn't paddle, his velocity is entirely 2 in the y-direction, so his initial x-component of velocity must be zero. :smile:

ah ok thanks a lot tiny -tim !

Related to 2-Dimensional Motion (non-trajectory)

1. What is 2-dimensional motion?

2-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two different directions, typically represented by the x and y axes on a coordinate plane. This type of motion can include both linear and circular motion.

2. How is 2-dimensional motion different from 1-dimensional motion?

In 1-dimensional motion, an object is only moving in one direction, typically represented by the x-axis on a coordinate plane. In 2-dimensional motion, an object is moving in two different directions, represented by both the x and y axes.

3. What are some examples of 2-dimensional motion?

Some examples of 2-dimensional motion include a ball rolling off a table, a car turning a corner, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

4. What is the difference between linear and circular 2-dimensional motion?

Linear 2-dimensional motion refers to movement in a straight line in two different directions, while circular 2-dimensional motion refers to movement in a circular path, such as an object moving in a circular orbit.

5. How is 2-dimensional motion measured and calculated?

2-dimensional motion is typically measured and calculated using equations and formulas derived from the laws of motion, such as Newton's laws. These equations take into account factors such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement in both the x and y directions.

Back