2 Impulse and Momentum related Questions

In summary: The result will be 2 values, one negative and one positive. Only the positive one makes sense. That's the final velocity of the second ball. Calculate the final velocity of the first ball and then the kinetic energy.
zn23
The first Question

A 2.5 kg ball and a 5.0 kg ball have an elastic collision. The 2.5 kg ball was at rest and the other ball had a speed of 3.5 m/s. What is the kinetic energy of the 2.5 kg ball after the collision?

Homework Equations

J=p (Impulse = momentum)

(F)t= m2v2f+m1v1i

vf(m1 + m2) = m1v1 + m2v2

1/2mv^2 + m1v1= KE ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I had attempted this question twice with no avail. Mainly because I keep getting two unknowns and then i recycle the question too many times.

5 x 3.5 = 17.5

so 2.5(v) = 17.5

v = 7 m/s

kinetic energy which is 1/2 m v^2

.5 x 2.5 x 7^2

= 61.25 J

- This was wrong as it didn't match any of the multiple choice answers provided

The Secound Question

A 5.0 kg boy runs at a speed of 10.0m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed, with the boy on the cart, is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

Homework Equations

Same as the first question

mv + m2v2 = m'v'

(5)(10) + m2(0) = (M2 + 5) (2.5)

50 = 2.5M + 12.5

M = 15 kg

-once again this is not one of the choices for the multiple choice...

Can someone please help me here? I do not know what I am doing incorrectly.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zn23 said:
vf(m1 + m2) = m1v1 + m2v2
This is true for an inelastic collision.

1/2mv^2 + m1v1= KE ?
?? Don't add KE and momentum--that's like adding dogs and goldfish.

Well I had attempted this question twice with no avail. Mainly because I keep getting two unknowns and then i recycle the question too many times.

5 x 3.5 = 17.5
That's the initial momentum. Set it equal to the final momentum. Call the final speeds V1 and V2.

Since you have two unknowns, you'll need a second equation. Luckily it's an elastic collision so you can use conservation of energy. Set the initial KE equal to the final KE.

The Secound Question

A 5.0 kg boy runs at a speed of 10.0m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed, with the boy on the cart, is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

Homework Equations

Same as the first question

mv + m2v2 = m'v'

(5)(10) + m2(0) = (M2 + 5) (2.5)

50 = 2.5M + 12.5

M = 15 kg
This one looks fine. All you needed was momentum conservation.

Doc Al said:
This is true for an inelastic collision.

?? Don't add KE and momentum--that's like adding dogs and goldfish.

That's the initial momentum. Set it equal to the final momentum. Call the final speeds V1 and V2.

Since you have two unknowns, you'll need a second equation. Luckily it's an elastic collision so you can use conservation of energy. Set the initial KE equal to the final KE.

This one looks fine. All you needed was momentum conservation.

Thanks for the feedback, but could you perhaps elaborate a little bit more on the response and to the first question, and what do you mean by "momentum conservation?" I thought the equation I initially used was Momentum Conservation?:confused:

zn23 said:
I thought the equation I initially used was Momentum Conservation?
Momentum conservation would be something like this:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v'1 + m2v'2

You did some thing like this:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m2v'2

(You assumed that only the second ball would be moving after the collision.)

m1u1^2= m1 [(m1u1- m2V2 )/m1]^2 + m2V2^2
m12u1^2= [(m1u1- m2V2 )]^2 + m2 m1V2^2
m12u1^2= (m1u1)^2 - 2(m1u1 m2V2) + ( m2V2 )^2 + m2 m1V2^2

Assuming that I have to solve for V2 in order to apply that into 1/2mv^2, however once I get to the third line I have difficulties solely isolating V2, have any ideas or help?

You have a quadratic equation for V2. Solve it.

FAQ: 2 Impulse and Momentum related Questions

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and is represented by the equation Impulse = Force x Time. It measures the change in momentum of an object.

2. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly related, as impulse causes a change in momentum. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost, and the objects involved may stick together after the collision.

4. How does mass affect momentum?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum. This is because momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity.

5. How can momentum be conserved in a system?

Momentum can be conserved in a system by ensuring that the total momentum before an event or collision is equal to the total momentum after the event or collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

Back