2 mass and veloc type physx problems

• Thread starter jgoff14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Type
In summary, the first conversation involves two problems that are causing frustration, while the second conversation involves calculating the vertical height of a hockey puck launched up a ramp and finding the mass of a block using basic equations and a free body diagram.
jgoff14
Ive got two problems that are driving me crazy

Homework Statement

3. A 200 g hockey puck is launched up a metal ramp that is inclined at a 30° angle. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the hockey puck and the metal ramp are μs = 0.40 and μk = 0.30, respectively. The puck's initial speed is 96 m/s. What vertical height does the puck reach above its starting point?

4. The figure shows a 100 kg block being released from rest from a height of 1.0 m. It then takes 0.76 s to reach the floor. What is the mass of the block on the left?

(attached pic)

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't really have an attempt just a bunch of notes and calculations but i don't know how to bring it together
N=9.8*200sin(300) => 980n
well I am looking over it and don't have anything more than that i can't even tell what i was doing before. PLEASE help

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    86.1 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
Without an attempt, there's not much anyone can do to really help. I can tell you that for the second question, draw a free body diagram for each of the blocks, and since it is a taut string, the tensions T will be the same. Then use Fnet = ma, having found a using some basic 1 dimensional equations, and solve for m.

Related to 2 mass and veloc type physx problems

1. What is the definition of mass in physics?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a fundamental property of an object and is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is mass related to velocity in physics?

In physics, mass and velocity are related by the equation momentum = mass x velocity. This means that an object's momentum, or tendency to keep moving, increases as its mass and velocity increase.

3. How does mass affect the motion of an object?

The mass of an object directly affects its inertia, which is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion. Objects with larger mass have greater inertia and require more force to accelerate or decelerate.

4. What is the role of mass in Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to produce a given acceleration.

5. How does the type of mass affect the application of physics principles?

The type of mass, such as point mass or distributed mass, can affect the application of physics principles in certain situations. For example, point masses are often used to simplify calculations in problems involving collisions, while distributed mass is necessary for more complex systems such as a rotating object.