2 moles of H20 heated at 10A for 1hr. What is the volume?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter HelloCthulhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles Volume
In summary, the student is attempting to calculate the total volume of the system after 1 hour of electrolysis of 2 moles of water at 10A. Using Faraday's Law of Electrolysis and assuming STP, they find that the final volume is 39.358mL, which is not the total volume occupied due to the removal of hydrogen and oxygen gas. They then correct their mistake and find that the final volume is actually 32.65mL.
HelloCthulhu

Homework Statement

2 moles of water undergoes electrolysis at 10A. What is the total volume of the system after 1hr?

Homework Equations

4 H+(aq) + 4e−→ 2H2(g)

2 H2O(l) → O2(g) + 4 H+(aq) + 4e−

Faraday's Law of Electrolysis
Q = n(e-) x F

F = 96500C

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial volume = 36mL

Gas produced
(10*3600s*4g)/(F*4)=0.373g H2

(10*3600s*32g)/(F*4)=2.984g O2

0.373g+2.984g=3.358g

Final volume
36mL+3.35mL =39.358mL

Physics news on Phys.org
3.358 rounds up to 3.36
3.358g of gas does not make 3.358mL of gas.
If you start with 36g of H2O and you remove some of the H and some of the O you do not end up with 36g.

I apologize. I'm very new to chemistry. I thought I was solving for total volume including the expanding gas.

Final volume
36mL-3.35mL =32.65

You can't calculate total volume of "the system" not knowing the pressure and the temperature. Perhaps it is just a matter of lousy wording of the question, or you are expected to assume STP.

What you have found is the volume of water left. This is not total volume occupied.

Borek said:
You can't calculate total volume of "the system" not knowing the pressure and the temperature. Perhaps it is just a matter of lousy wording of the question, or you are expected to assume STP.

What you have found is the volume of water left. This is not total volume occupied.

Yes, it was very poor wording. Still new to writing these equations. Thank you for your help.

FAQ: 2 moles of H20 heated at 10A for 1hr. What is the volume?

What is the definition of a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance. It is equal to 6.02 x 10^23 particles, which is also known as Avogadro's number.

How is the volume of a substance related to the number of moles?

In an ideal gas, the volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of the gas. This means that as the number of moles increases, the volume also increases.

What is the molar mass of water (H2O)?

The molar mass of water is 18.02 g/mol. This means that 2 moles of H2O would have a mass of 36.04 grams.

How does heating a substance affect its volume?

When a substance is heated, its particles gain energy and move around more, causing an increase in volume. This is known as thermal expansion. The exact amount of expansion depends on the substance and the temperature change.

How can I calculate the volume of 2 moles of H2O heated at 10A for 1 hour?

To calculate the volume of a gas, you can use the ideal gas law, which states that volume is equal to the number of moles multiplied by the gas constant (R) and the temperature (in Kelvin), divided by the pressure. In this case, you would need to know the pressure in order to calculate the volume.

Back