2 objects with pully. need distance

• Thread starter dwilson89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pully
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two objects with a pulley system. The question asks for the maximum height the lighter object reaches after the system is released, with hints provided to determine the acceleration and velocity of the lighter mass. The relevant equations mentioned include Newton's second law and the laws of energy conservation. The conversation suggests using these equations to calculate the starting height and velocity of the lighter object, and then using them again to determine the final height.
dwilson89
2 objects with pully. need distance!

Homework Statement

The two masses shown in the figure are each initially 1.80 above the ground, and the massless frictionless pulley is 4.8 above the ground.
What maximum height does the lighter object reach after the system is released? [Hint: First determine the acceleration of the lighter mass and then its velocity at the moment the heavier one hits the ground. This is its "launch" speed. Assume it doesn't hit the pulley.]

Homework Equations

I AM NOT SURE

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch04.p34.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch04.p34.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org

What do you think about the relevant equations? Can you apply Newton's second law to find the acceleration of the blocks? ehild

dwilson89 said:
I AM NOT SURE
You have to calculate on what height and with wtat velocity M1 start "jump". Starting height is easy to calculate - M2 is on the floor at the moment...

To find the speed you can use Newton's law (as ehild suggest) or law of energy conservation (I think it is easiest).

Then you have to calculate height. One time more you can use Newton's law, or conservation of energy (I think it is easiest) :smile:.

regards

Last edited:

FAQ: 2 objects with pully. need distance

1. How do I calculate the distance between two objects with a pulley?

To calculate the distance between two objects with a pulley, you will need to know the radius of the pulley and the number of revolutions it makes. The formula for distance is distance = (radius x 2π) x number of revolutions.

2. Can I use the same formula for calculating distance if the pulley is not a perfect circle?

Yes, you can still use the same formula for calculating distance even if the pulley is not a perfect circle. However, you will need to use the average radius of the pulley, which is calculated by measuring the distance from the center of the pulley to the outer edge at multiple points and finding the average.

3. Do I need to take into account the weight of the objects when calculating distance?

Yes, when calculating distance between two objects with a pulley, you will need to take into account the weight of the objects. This can be done by multiplying the weight of the objects by the distance traveled, and then adding it to the total distance.

4. Can I use this formula for calculating distance for any type of pulley system?

Yes, the formula for calculating distance between two objects with a pulley can be used for any type of pulley system as long as you have the necessary information, such as the radius and number of revolutions.

5. Is there a way to simplify the calculation of distance for objects with multiple pulleys?

Yes, you can simplify the calculation of distance for objects with multiple pulleys by breaking down the system into smaller systems and calculating the distance for each one separately. Then, you can add the individual distances together to get the total distance.