2 particles created around event horizon: out or inside?

In summary, the question at hand is whether entangled particles are formed just outside the event horizon and one falls into the black hole, just inside the event horizon and one tunnels out, or on the event horizon with one inside and one outside. There is uncertainty as to which scenario is correct, but some theories suggest that case [1] could lead to the black hole gaining a particle and case [2] being more common, resulting in evaporation. However, the concept of a "fuzzy" event horizon suggests that [4], where the two particles form in this unclear region, may be the most accurate explanation. Additionally, it has been confirmed that the particles are indeed entangled, leading to the debate over the firewall paradox.
nomadreid
Gold Member
The question is simple, and I have checked the "similar discussions" and googled, but I still come out with various replies. I also know that experimental evidence that could back up the selected choice would be tricky, not to say impossible. But at least according to theory: the entangled particles that would be formed around the event horizon: would they be formed
[1] just outside the event horizon, and one particle falls into the black hole
[2] just inside the event horizon, and one particle tunnels out of the black hole, or
[3] on the event horizon, with one particle appearing inside and one appearing outside, or
[4] the question is meaningless.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall the particles being described as entangled, but I have no idea if they would be or not.

To my lay understanding, uncertainty allows for either 1,2 or 3 to occur but if its 1 or 3, I don't think the net change of particles inside the event horizon is negative.

Hmmm. Is it really correct that case 1 can happen? If so, it seems to me that the black hole gains one particle. If that is so in case 1, is there theory to predict that case 2 happens more often than case 1 so that one would expect evaporation as opposed to stability or growth?

I am not sure if case 3 is different after the outcome than either case 1 or or case 2, I guess I mean case 3 might not really exist in anything but a mathematical sense.

Likes nomadreid
One description I have seen is that the event horizon is not sharp. The two particles form in the fuzzy region with one going in and the other going out.

Likes nomadreid
Grinkle said:
I don't recall the particles being described as entangled, but I have no idea if they would be or not.
Yes, they are definitely entangled. This is what gave rise to this whole flurry around the firewall paradox. (Although I don't completely understand this. I haven't figured out why, without the firewall, the particle inside would necessarily be entangled not only with the outgoing particle but also all the particles which had been "emitted" from the black hole earlier (which then leads to a contradiction). If anyone can explain that point to me, I would be grateful.
Grinkle said:
Hmmm. Is it really correct that case 1 can happen? If so, it seems to me that the black hole gains one particle. If that is so in case 1, is there theory to predict that case 2 happens more often than case 1 so that one would expect evaporation as opposed to stability or growth?
The explanation given by those favoring [1] is connected with the energy of the infalling particle: that with respect to an outside observer, the outgoing particle would have positive energy, so that the infalling particle would necessarily have negative energy (or, if you object to the phrase "negative energy" here, say that if the outgoing particle adds energy to the equation situation, the infalling one must subtract it), and it is this subtraction of energy that would be greater than the energy added to the black hole by the infalling (anti)particle. Thus, a sum evaporation.

mathman said:
One description I have seen is that the event horizon is not sharp. The two particles form in the fuzzy region with one going in and the other going out.
In other words, [4].

Related to 2 particles created around event horizon: out or inside?

1. What is an event horizon?

An event horizon is a theoretical boundary around a black hole where the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. This means that anything, including light, that crosses the event horizon will be pulled into the black hole and cannot escape.

2. How are particles created around an event horizon?

Particles can be created around an event horizon through several processes, including Hawking radiation and quantum tunneling. Both of these processes involve the conversion of energy into matter near the event horizon.

3. Can particles created around an event horizon escape?

Particles created around an event horizon can sometimes escape, but this is rare. In most cases, the strong gravitational pull of the black hole will prevent the particles from escaping and they will be pulled into the black hole.

4. Are particles created inside or outside the event horizon?

Particles can be created both inside and outside the event horizon, depending on the specific process that creates them. Hawking radiation, for example, can create particles both inside and outside the event horizon.

5. What is the significance of particles created around an event horizon?

The creation of particles around an event horizon has significant implications for our understanding of black holes and the laws of physics. It also plays a role in the eventual evaporation of black holes through Hawking radiation.