2 problems: potential erg & tension/friction

• Thread starter Falinox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation involved two physics problems posted on a forum and a user seeking help in solving them. The problems involved calculating velocity and acceleration, and the user's attempts at solving them were checked and corrected by another user. The final answers for both problems were verified and confirmed correct.
Falinox

Homework Statement

Question1.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/reddiesel08/Question1.jpg
Question2.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/reddiesel08/Question2.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
Attempt2.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/reddiesel08/Attempt2.jpg
Attempt.jpg

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx183/reddiesel08/Attempt.jpg

Need someone to check my work and help solve these two problems, thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
5 is correct, but I did not check the numbers for this one.

7, your method is correct, but your final answer is off. My calculator gives me vi = 4.76 m/s

rock.freak667 said:
5 is correct, but I did not check the numbers for this one.

7, your method is correct, but your final answer is off. My calculator gives me vi = 4.76 m/s

Thank you! My mistake on question 7 was I forgot to multiply the 9.8(0.68) by 2 when I moved the 1/2 from the left side to the right side of the equation. I also came up with the answer 4.76 m/s.

On #5 I got the answer a = .57 m/s squared can someone verify this for me.

a = 0.56645 m/s^2, so you are correct.

I would first like to commend you for seeking help and checking your work. It shows a strong understanding of the scientific process and a desire for accuracy. In regards to the first problem, it appears that you have correctly identified the potential energy of the system as the sum of the potential energy of the mass and the potential energy of the spring. However, I would suggest using the formula for potential energy (PE = mgh) instead of calculating the work done by the spring, as the latter may not account for the change in height.

For the second problem, you have correctly identified the tension and friction forces acting on the block. However, I would recommend using the formula for kinetic friction (Ff = μkN) instead of the static friction formula, as the block is already in motion. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a free body diagram and use Newton's second law (F=ma) to solve for the acceleration of the block.

Overall, your approach is sound and I would suggest double-checking your calculations and using the correct formulas for potential energy and friction to ensure accuracy in your solutions. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: 2 problems: potential erg & tension/friction

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possess due to its position or configuration. It is often described as the stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy.

2. How does potential energy relate to erg?

Erg is a unit of measurement for energy and work. Potential energy can be measured in ergs, and it is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force.

3. What is tension in physics?

In physics, tension is the pulling force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or other similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

4. How does tension relate to friction?

Tension and friction are related in that both are forces that act in opposite directions to each other. Tension is a pulling force while friction is a resisting force. In certain situations, tension can cause an increase in friction, while in others it can reduce friction.

5. How can tension and friction be minimized?

To minimize tension and friction, one can use lubricants to reduce the contact between two surfaces, use smoother or more slippery materials, or apply a force in the opposite direction to counteract the tension and friction forces.