2 Recommended texts, And the differences between them?

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter Pefgjk
  • Start date
In summary: I guess? I don't remember much about it now. And for optics, I recommend either a title by David Thouless or James P. W. Fisher.
Pefgjk
Hello everyone! My main physics teacher has made recommendations for us about textbooks, and those were:

A. Physics for scientists and engineers by Jewett/Serway.
B. Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A strategic approach with modern physics by Randall D. Knight.

1. I read the former for a while and actually liked it. But in comparison to other texts, is it worth the hefty price? I have to undergo intensive Math training during university and still doing it, so I really appreciate a Calculus-based textbooks with detailed Mathematical expressions if possible. That's when my question arises, does the second book (the one by Knight) Calculus-based, too? If yes, are the two books of the same quality in terms of academic contents?

2. I saw people complaining about the book by Jewett/Serway is a dreaded text with messy (overflowing? Sorry, have limited English) contents in it. How true is that compared to other similar textbooks? And is it true at all?

3. What are other good recommendations?

4. What are some good titles about quantum optics and radiophysics?

NOTE: I don't know much academc words about Math, so when I say 'Calculus-based' I mean the following, say: Integrals, line and surface Integrals, Differential equations, series (like Fourier series), functions, kinds of derivatives, etc. I am not a native speaker so I don't think I fully understand some academic Math vocabularies, but I hope my previous effort in explaining my view will aid you!

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Pefgjk said:
Hello everyone! My main physics teacher has made recommendations for us about textbooks, and those were:

A. Physics for scientists and engineers by Jewett/Serway.
B. Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A strategic approach with modern physics by Randall D. Knight.

1. I read the former for a while and actually liked it. But in comparison to other texts, is it worth the hefty price? I have to undergo intensive Math training during university and still doing it, so I really appreciate a Calculus-based textbooks with detailed Mathematical expressions if possible. That's when my question arises, does the second book (the one by Knight) Calculus-based, too? If yes, are the two books of the same quality in terms of academic contents?

2. I saw people complaining about the book by Jewett/Serway is a dreaded text with messy (overflowing? Sorry, have limited English) contents in it. How true is that compared to other similar textbooks? And is it true at all?

3. What are other good recommendations?

4. What are some good titles about quantum optics and radiophysics?

NOTE: I don't know much academc words about Math, so when I say 'Calculus-based' I mean the following, say: Integrals, line and surface Integrals, Differential equations, series (like Fourier series), functions, kinds of derivatives, etc. I am not a native speaker so I don't think I fully understand some academic Math vocabularies, but I hope my previous effort in explaining my view will aid you!

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Quoted to have a record.

I wouldn't choose that book, the book itself sells for $230 while the solutions manual sells for $120. Who are they kidding, $120 for a solutions manual? If the solutions manual is anywhere near that valuable, it must be needed because the book is rubbish. Because surely if the book is really good, the solutions manual is not adding a lot of value to the package and shouldn't cost $120.

Surely at that price, someone who buys the solutions manual is going to get value. And that can only happen if the main text is lacking value. So in no way would I choose that book. I think this is pretty close to a mathematical proof.

I can't comment on the Knight book but this Jewett/Serway one must be a poor choice, I think.

Old copy of giancoli physics for scientist n engineers. I nice introduction to physics. Even has derivations. After working from giancoli , purchase kleppner and kolenkow.

Thank you! I think I must own the book Kleppner.

One more important thing, actually I really need books that cover other topic, can you recommend me book for the following also:
1. Mechanics: as you already said: Kleppner and Kolenkow.

2. Fluid mechanics(does the Kleppner book include this topic, too?).

3. Electromagnetism.

4. Optics.

5. Thermodynamic.

6. Other topics of Introductory physics that I don't presently know?

7. What is a good calculus-text that contains everything about intro physics and is not bad? Like Freedmen's, Feynman's,... i mean

Thanks!

Just play with kleppner and kolenkow. It will take you some to work through it. Do not google solutions.

Pefgjk,

I can answer a couple of them - I didn't take advanced optics or thermodynamics. By all accounts, from what I've read from other scholars, kleppner is a great book for mechanics (i've never used it but the general consensus will likely steer you correctly).

I used Griffiths for electromagnetism - I have no complaints about the book - I think my teacher was great at teaching the subject matter - I took it concurrently with an electrical engineering fields course. I liked Griffiths significantly more than the textbook for the ECE course which i can't remember - Griffiths is written for physics students (more theory) as opposed to engineers.

I took Fluid Mechanics as well. We used Transport Phenomena by Bird and Stewart. This was an elective engineering course so it was more applied and less theoretical. For engineers (more specifically chemical engineers) this is a gold standard. I do not know if this is great from a physics perspective, just my two cents.

As far as introductory calc-based physics texts go, I've used Giancoli (Physics for Scientists and Engineers) and heard/read great reviews regarding University Physics (Young & Freedman) and Fundamentals of Physics (Halliday & Resnick). These are for the calc-based introductory physics sequences everywhere and are not nearly as rigorous as the above texts.

Related to 2 Recommended texts, And the differences between them?

1. What are the two recommended texts?

The two recommended texts are "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.

2. What are the main differences between "A Brief History of Time" and "Cosmos"?

The main differences between the two texts are their authors, focus, and writing style. "A Brief History of Time" is written by a renowned physicist, Stephen Hawking, and focuses on the history and principles of physics. "Cosmos" is written by astronomer Carl Sagan and explores a wider range of scientific topics, including astronomy, biology, and anthropology. Additionally, "A Brief History of Time" is more technical and scientific in its writing style, while "Cosmos" is more narrative and philosophical in its approach.

3. Which text is more suitable for beginners in science?

"Cosmos" is generally considered to be more beginner-friendly than "A Brief History of Time" due to its more accessible writing style and broader range of scientific topics covered. However, both texts can be enjoyed by readers of all levels of scientific knowledge.

4. Are there any similarities between "A Brief History of Time" and "Cosmos"?

Despite their differences, both texts share a common aim of making complex scientific concepts more understandable and intriguing to the general public. They also both touch on the biggest questions of the universe, such as the origins of the universe and the existence of extraterrestrial life.

5. Can "A Brief History of Time" and "Cosmos" be read as standalone texts or should they be read together?

Both texts can be read independently as they cover different topics and have different writing styles. However, reading them together can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the scientific concepts discussed and offer different perspectives on the mysteries of the universe.