25 x 25 Grid, find how many shaded squares

• MHB
  • Thread starter Marcelo Arevalo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grid Squares
In summary, the conversation discussed the formula for solving a problem involving a grid. The formula was determined to be T(n) = 8n^2 + 8n + 1, with n representing the size of the grid. The conversation also discussed using the first three values to find the parameters of the quadratic formula, and used this formula to solve for T(6), which was found to be 337.
Marcelo Arevalo
View attachment 4623

pls help with the formula on solving these the easy way.
It took time for me to find the answer by drawing it literally.
my answer is 334 squares.

Attachments

• 20150806_204051_zpsa3wme25d.jpg
    20150806_204051_zpsa3wme25d.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 103
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would think this will be a quadratic formula, with the size $s$ of the grid given by:

\(\displaystyle s=4n+1\) where $n\in\mathbb{N_0}$.

Hence:

\(\displaystyle T(n)=An^2+Bn+C\)

We can count:

\(\displaystyle T(0)=C=1\)

\(\displaystyle T(1)=A+B+C=17\)

\(\displaystyle T(2)=4A+2B+C=49\)

Can you proceed?

Hi mark, thanks for replying.
I am a bit lost to the equation you just posted.
Compared to most of the math enthusiast here, I am an amateur. But i really love math.
If you can explain a bit more in an elementary way i will try my very best to follow.
I thank you in advance for being so patient in teaching me.

We see that the "second difference" is a constant (16) so we know we are dealing with a quadratic function. And then it's just a matter of using the first 3 values to obtain 3 equations in 3 unknowns (the parameters of the general quadratic).

We see that $C=1$, and so this reduces to the 2X2 system:

\(\displaystyle A+B=16\)

\(\displaystyle 2A+B=24\)

From this we find:

\(\displaystyle A=B=8\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle T(n)=8n^2+8n+1\)

Now, for a 25X25 grid, we have $s=25\implies n=6$ and so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle T(6)=8(6)^2+8(6)+1=337\)

thanks a Lot Mark!
Really appreciate it. Now I understand the concept.

FAQ: 25 x 25 Grid, find how many shaded squares

1. How do you calculate the number of shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid?

The number of shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid can be calculated by multiplying the number of rows by the number of columns. In this case, it would be 25 x 25 = 625 shaded squares.

2. Can you explain the significance of a 25 x 25 grid?

A 25 x 25 grid is significant because it contains 625 squares, making it a large enough sample size to accurately represent patterns or trends. It is also a commonly used size in data analysis and scientific research.

3. What is the purpose of finding the number of shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid?

Finding the number of shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid can have various purposes, depending on the context. It can be used to analyze data, identify patterns, or solve mathematical problems.

4. How do you visually represent the shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid?

The shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid can be visually represented by coloring in the squares or using symbols like X or # to mark them. This can help in identifying patterns or trends more easily.

5. Is there a specific method to finding the number of shaded squares in a 25 x 25 grid?

Yes, the most common method is to multiply the number of rows by the number of columns, as mentioned in the first question. However, depending on the context, there may be other methods or strategies to find the number of shaded squares.