2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potenial

In summary, you tried the following: - Fourier transforming the Coulomb potential in 3D- Failed to get the right answer in 2D- Switched to polar coordinates to get: - \oint d^2 x \frac{e^{-i\textbf{q}\cdot\textbf{x}}}{|\textbf{x}|}=\int_0^\infty dr \left(\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-iqr\cos\theta}d\theta \right)
realtrip
The result is well known, but i need more details about the integral below
[tex]
\int \mathrm{d}^2x \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}|} e^{- \mathrm{i} \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{x}} = \frac{2 \pi}{q}[/tex]

I've done the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 3D. But failed to get the right answer in 2D.

I did only a few practice about 2D integrals. Will anyone show me more details about it?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
realtrip said:
The result is well known, but i need more details about the integral below
[tex]
\int \mathrm{d}^2x \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}|} e^{- \mathrm{i} \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{x}} = \frac{2 \pi}{q}[/tex]

I've done the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 3D. But failed to get the right answer in 2D.

Well, what did you try? Show us your attempt.

A little too long, and no latex in this computer.

So, i upload a screenshot in the attachment.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4,148
Yuck!:wink:

I wouldn't write the complex exponential in terms of sines and cosines if I were you. Instead, just switch to polar coordinates right away (with your coordinate system chosen so that [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] points in the positive x-direction) to get:

[tex]\oint d^2 x \frac{e^{-i\textbf{q}\cdot\textbf{x}}}{|\textbf{x}|}=\int_0^\infty dr \left(\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-iqr\cos\theta}d\theta \right)[/tex]

If you don't immediately recognize the angular integral, try defining [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] and compute the first two derivatives of the integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{q}[/itex] to show that it satisfies a well known differential equation...:wink:

Also, unlike the 3D case, the integral converges without treating the coulomb potential as a limiting case of the Yukawa potential.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure whether you want me to do the second derivatives of the angular integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] or something else. If i haven't misunderstood, I'm sorry to tell you that i really don't know what the well known differential equation is...

Would you give me a little more details? Thanks a lot!

Well, I'll tell you that [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-i\overline{r}\cos\theta}d\theta=2\pi J_0(\overline{r})[/tex]...as for proving it, I'll leave that to you (Hint: What differential equation does the [itex]n=0[/itex] Bessel function of the 1st kind satisfy?)...

Thank you very much!

FAQ: 2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potenial

1. What is a 2D Fourier transform?

A 2D Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its frequency components. It is a powerful tool in signal processing and image analysis, as it allows for the visualization and manipulation of different frequency components within a function or image.

2. What is the Coulomb potential?

The Coulomb potential is a fundamental concept in electrostatics, describing the force between two charged particles. It follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the force decreases as the distance between the particles increases.

3. How is the Coulomb potential represented in 2D?

In 2D, the Coulomb potential is represented as a function that describes the potential energy at any point in space due to the presence of a charged particle. This function is dependent on the distance from the charged particle and the angle of observation.

4. What is the significance of taking the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 2D?

The Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential allows for a more intuitive understanding of the electrostatic forces at play. By decomposing the potential into its frequency components, we can visualize and analyze the different spatial harmonics present in the potential, which can aid in solving complex electrostatic problems.

5. How is the 2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potential used in practical applications?

The 2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potential has various practical applications, such as in image processing, spectroscopy, and diffraction analysis. It is also used in the field of computational chemistry to calculate the electrostatic interactions between atoms and molecules, aiding in the understanding of chemical reactions and structures.