2D Harmonica Oscillator For Holes In Magnetic Field

In summary, the sign convention for holes in the context of the 2D Circular Quantum Well can be confusing. The Hamiltonian, expanded under the convention A = -B/2 (y,x,0), results in a minus sign in the momentum term, which is a valid convention used in literature. The extra term in the expanded Hamiltonian, H = 2D-Harmonica Oscillator - w_c/2 l_z, also has a minus sign due to the definition of the angular momentum operator. It is important to check the conventions used in a study before comparing results.
MartinCort
Hello

I am bemused by a sign convention for Holes, My questions are as follow:

For an electron inside the 2D Circular Quantum Well. We can write our Hamiltonian as

H = 1/2m * ( p - q A)^2 + 1/2 m w^2 r^2 (Should we use minus in the momentum term? I think for Holes, it is)

If we expand this Hamiltonian under gauge A = -B/2 (y,x,0), we will obtain a effective 2D Harmonica Oscillator with a extra term :

H = 2D-Harmonica Oscillator - w_c/2 l_z (This sign is confusing)

where l_z is the angular momentum operators in z direction.
My question is, are the two minus signs make sense in my equations?

I am not too sure if it is correct because I have seen some literature get a total different sign, And this will affect the spectrum of the hole.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand your confusion with the sign convention for holes in the context of the 2D Circular Quantum Well. Let me try to address your questions:

1. For the Hamiltonian, the sign convention for the momentum term depends on the convention used for the vector potential A. In your case, you have used the convention A = -B/2 (y,x,0), which results in a minus sign in the momentum term. This is a valid convention and is often used in literature.

2. The extra term in the expanded Hamiltonian, H = 2D-Harmonica Oscillator - w_c/2 l_z, also has a minus sign. This is because the angular momentum operator l_z has a minus sign in its definition, which is l_z = -i(hbar)(d/dz). Therefore, the overall sign in this term is also correct.

3. It is important to note that different literature may use different sign conventions, so it is always a good idea to check the conventions used in a particular study before comparing results.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. If you have any further doubts or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your question and keep up the good work in your research!

Related to 2D Harmonica Oscillator For Holes In Magnetic Field

What is a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field?

A 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of electrons or holes (positively charged particles) in a two-dimensional material under the influence of a magnetic field. It is named after the shape of the energy levels, which resemble the holes of a harmonica.

How does a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field work?

The model assumes that the electrons or holes are confined to a two-dimensional plane and are subject to a perpendicular magnetic field. The energy levels of the particles are quantized, meaning they can only occupy certain energy states. The model takes into account the kinetic energy of the particles, the potential energy of the magnetic field, and the interactions between particles.

What are the applications of a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field?

This model is commonly used in the study of semiconductors and quantum wells, as it accurately predicts the energy levels and behavior of electrons and holes in these materials. It can also be used to understand the behavior of electrons and holes in magnetic fields, which is important for applications such as magnetic data storage and spintronics.

What are the limitations of a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field?

One limitation of this model is that it assumes the particles are confined to a two-dimensional plane, which may not always be the case in real-world materials. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of temperature and impurities, which can significantly impact the behavior of particles in a material.

How does a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Holes in Magnetic Field differ from a 2D Harmonica Oscillator for Electrons?

The main difference between these two models is that electrons have a negative charge and holes have a positive charge. This means that they will have opposite spin orientations and will experience a different force in a magnetic field. The energy levels and behavior of electrons and holes in these models will also differ due to their opposite charges.