2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions

In summary, the problem is to solve the partial differential equation on a finite domain with mixed boundary conditions, representing a plate with two insulated regions and two exposed regions. Separation of variables and Fourier transform methods do not work, so the solution involves dividing the domain into four regions and finding the solution in each region separately. The coefficients of the solution in each region are determined by the boundary conditions, and the solution is then stitched together to ensure continuity at the boundaries. Other methods may also be applicable.
refind
This isn't homework but could be labeled "textbook style" so I'm posting it here.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u} {\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2 u} {\partial y^2}=0[/tex]

on the domain [itex] x \in [-\infty,\infty], y\in[0,1][/itex] with the following mixed boundary conditions:

for [itex] y=0: u(x,0)=0 \ [/itex]if [itex] x\in[-a,a][/itex] and [itex] \partial u/ \partial y=0 \ [/itex]if [itex] |x|>a[/itex]

and very similarly for y=1:

[itex] y=1: u(x,1)=1 \ [/itex]if [itex] x\in[-a,a][/itex] and [itex] \partial u/ \partial y=0 \ [/itex]if [itex] |x|>a[/itex]

So I have Dirichlet and Neumann conditions for different segments of the boundary.
If the infinite domain [itex] x \in [-\infty,\infty][/itex] poses a challenge, I am okay with changing the problem to be on a finite rectangle [itex] x \in [-L,L] [/itex] as long as [itex] L>>1 [/itex].

The boundary conditions for x are simply that it's symmetric about x=0 (so [itex] \partial u/ \partial x=0 [/itex] there) and also no-flux at infinity (or no flux at x=L if we switch to the finite domain).

The physical representation is a large plate which is insulated everywhere except for 2 small areas -a<x<a where I remove the insulation and apply temperatures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Separation of variables doesn't work since the exponential solution cannot satisfy the boundary conditions of no flux. Also I tried Fourier transform in x and I cannot apply the mixed boundary conditions because it becomes a function [itex]U(\omega,y)[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution I think is to separate the domain into four regions. For example, Region 1: x \in [0,a], y \in [0,1] Region 2: x \in [-a,0], y \in [0,1] Region 3: x \in [-\infty,-a], y \in [0,1]Region 4: x \in [a,\infty], y \in [0,1] and then find the solution in each of these regions separately. For example, in Region 1, I could use the method of separation of variables and Fourier series to represent the solution as a sum of sines and cosines. The boundary conditions give the coefficients of the sine and cosine series. Similarly, for the other three regions, the boundary conditions give the coefficients of the solution in those regions. Then, I could stitch them together at x=\pm a at each of the boundaries (y=0,1) so that the solution is continuous across those boundaries. Finally, I could stitch the four regions together at x=0 so that the solution is continuous there too.Does this seem like the correct approach? Are there any other methods that could be used?

Related to 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions

1. What is 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions?

2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions is a mathematical equation that describes the variation of a scalar field in two dimensions. It is a special case of the more general Poisson's equation and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model steady-state problems.

2. What are mixed boundary conditions?

Mixed boundary conditions refer to a combination of different types of boundary conditions in a mathematical problem. In the case of 2D Laplace's equation, it means that the boundary conditions on different sides of the domain are different, such as a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions.

3. What are some real-world applications of 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions?

Some real-world applications of 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions include heat conduction problems, electrostatics, and fluid flow problems. It is also commonly used in structural analysis and in the study of wave propagation.

4. How is 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions solved?

The solution to 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions is typically found using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the domain into smaller elements and solving the resulting system of linear equations.

5. What are the advantages of using 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions?

One advantage of using 2D Laplace's equation with mixed boundary conditions is that it allows for a more realistic representation of real-world problems that involve a combination of different boundary conditions. It also has a simple and elegant mathematical form, making it easier to solve compared to more complex equations.