2D Momentum Question on pool balls

In summary, the standard pool balls have a mass of 0.17kg and before the collision, ball A is at rest and ball B is traveling at 4.5 m/s [N]. After the collision, ball B is traveling at 1.6 m/s [N20E]. Using the equations for initial and final momentum, the velocity of ball A can be calculated to be 3 m/s. It is important to note that the north component of B's momentum does not have to equal the north component of A's momentum, and that the assumption of an elastic collision cannot be made. Additionally, the X and Y components may have been switched in the calculations.
SpyIsCake

Homework Statement

Standard pool balls have a mass of 0.17kg. Before a collision, ball A is at rest and ball B is traveling at 4.5 m/s [N]. After the collision, ball B is traveling at 1.6 m/s [N20E]. What is the velocity of ball A?

Homework Equations

pinitial = pfinal
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the initial momentum would be 0.17 * 4.5 m/s = 0.765kg m/s [N].
The momentum for B is 1.6 * 0.17 = 0.272
The initial momentum has to equal the final momentum, so:

0.765kg/m/s = 0.272 + A

I drew a triangle for B's angle.

For X component: 0.272 cos 20 deg = 0.255
For Y component: 0.272 sin 20 deg = 0.09

The X component will just be 0.255 [W] because the X component is 0.
The Y component will have to be the difference between 0.765 and 0.09302, because you need the north to have the same momentum. The answer to that is 0.7168.

Then I plug them all in and use Pythagorean theorem to find the momentum, which was 0.76 kg m/s.
I divide that by the mass of 0.17kg and got a velocity of 4.2 m/s.

But unfortunately, the answer is 3 m/s.

How?

Physics news on Phys.org
SpyIsCake said:
The Y component will have to be the difference between 0.765 and 0.09302, because you need the north to have the same momentum. The answer to that is 0.7168.
The North components do not have to have the same momentum. The total momentum in the system cannot change.

SpyIsCake said:

Homework Statement

Standard pool balls have a mass of 0.17kg. Before a collision, ball A is at rest and ball B is traveling at 4.5 m/s [N]. After the collision, ball B is traveling at 1.6 m/s [N20E]. What is the velocity of ball A?

Homework Equations

pinitial = pfinal
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the initial momentum would be 0.17 * 4.5 m/s = 0.765kg m/s [N].
The momentum for B is 1.6 * 0.17 = 0.272
The initial momentum has to equal the final momentum, so:

0.765kg/m/s = 0.272 + A
This last statement is not correct. The north component of B's momentum (i.e. mv(cos(20)) + the north component of A's momentum has to equal B's initial momentum. I think you are also assuming that this is an elastic collision. You cannot assume that.
AM

You may have cos and sin switched over. N20E is 20 degrees E of N, so if you are taking the positive X axis as E then the X component will involve sin of 20 degrees.

Your attempt at solving the problem is correct, but there is a mistake in your calculation for the Y component of ball B's momentum. It should be 0.272 sin 20 deg = 0.093, not 0.09. This small difference in calculation leads to a different final momentum and velocity for ball A. When corrected, the final velocity for ball A is indeed 3 m/s.

A possible explanation for the mistake could be a rounding error or a typo. As a scientist, it is important to double check your calculations and be precise with your numbers to avoid errors. In this case, the difference in the final answer may seem small, but in other situations, it could lead to significant discrepancies.

Related to 2D Momentum Question on pool balls

1. How is momentum defined in a 2D system of pool balls?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In a 2D system of pool balls, momentum refers to the quantity of motion in the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 2D collision between two pool balls?

In a 2D collision between two pool balls, momentum is conserved if there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of the two balls before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a pool ball in a 2D system?

The momentum of a pool ball in a 2D system is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier ball will have a greater momentum than a lighter ball moving at the same speed. Additionally, the direction and angle of the ball's movement will also affect its momentum.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect 2D collisions between pool balls?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how much energy is lost during a collision. In 2D collisions between pool balls, a higher coefficient of restitution means that the balls will bounce off each other with more energy, resulting in a larger change in their velocities.

5. Can the momentum of a pool ball change in a 2D system without any external forces?

No, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system cannot change without any external forces acting on it. In a 2D system of pool balls, if there are no external forces, the momentum of the balls will remain constant throughout the motion.