2D Motion - Firecracker bursting

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the launch of a firecracker at an angle and its subsequent explosion into fragments. The goal is to determine the angles at which the fragments move after the explosion, as measured by a spectator on the ground. The conversation also mentions the use of basic trigonometry to solve the problem and the confusion over the initial angle of the firecracker. The expert summarizer concludes that the book's answer is incorrect and that the approach taken by the conversationalist is valid.
chudd88

Homework Statement

In a Fourth of July celebration, a firecracker is launched from ground level with an initial velocity of 25.0 m/s at 30' from the vertical. At its maximum height it explodes in a starburst into many fragments, two of which travel forward initially at 20.0 m/s at [tex]\pm[/tex]53.0' with respect to the horizontal, both quantities measured relative to the original firecracker just before it exploded. With what angles with respect to the horizontal do the two fragments initially move right after the explosion, as measured by a spectator standing on the ground?

Homework Equations

Hardly any, really. Basic trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, the italics in the problem description are included in the book, and are really the source of my trouble. I feel like this is a simple problem, and that the solution in my book is wrong, but it's more likely that I'm misreading the problem.

My approach to this is that when the firecracker explodes, it will have 0 vertical velocity, and the same horizontal velocity it had when it was launched. From there, it's a simple matter of adding to that vector the additional velocity as a result of the explosion, which adds more horizontal and vertical velocity.

The problem I have is the wording of the initial angle of the projectile. The book emphasizes that it's 30' from the vertical. To me, that means that I start at 90', then drop 30'. So, it should be the same as saying 60' above the horizontal. I've found that when I do this problem with an initial angle of 60' above the horizonal, I get the wrong answer. But when I do it at 30' above the horizontal, I get the right answer. I'm trying to understand if the book just confused this point, or if I'm doing something wrong.

So, let's assume that the initial angle is 60' above the horizontal. I will use that for my calculations.

At the time it bursts:
Vx = cos(60) * 25.0 m/s = 12.5 m/s​
Vy = 0 m/s​

The velocity of the projectiles with respect to the firecracker:

Vx = cos(53) * 20.0 m/s = 12.03 m/s​
Vy = sin([tex]\pm[/tex]53) * 20.0 m/s = [tex]\pm[/tex]15.97 m/s​

Adding the vectors, I find that the velocity with respect to the ground is:
Vx = 12.5 m/s + 12.03 m/s = 24.53 m/s​
Vy = 0 m/s [tex]\pm[/tex] 15.97 m/s = [tex]\pm[/tex]15.97 m/s​

Taking the arctan of ([tex]\pm[/tex]15.97/24.53) gives a final answer of [tex]\pm[/tex] 33.1' with respect to the horizontal.

The problem is the book's answer is [tex]\pm[/tex]25.4'.

Struggling to understand this, I just tried doing the problem again, this time assuming the book's description of the initial angle of the firecracker was wrong. When I do the same steps for an initial angle of 30' above the horizontal, I get 25.4' as the answer.

So, is my book wrong, or is my interpretation of the initial angle incorrect?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't find anything wrong with your approach

the book answer is wrong in my opinion

As a scientist, it is important to always carefully read and interpret the information provided in a problem. In this case, the wording of the initial angle of the firecracker may have caused confusion. It is important to note that an angle of 30' from the vertical does not necessarily mean 30' above the horizontal. It could also mean 30' below the horizontal. Therefore, the initial angle of the firecracker should be clarified in order to accurately solve the problem.

Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the situation in order to better understand the initial and final angles of the fragments. It is also important to consider the direction of the initial velocity of the firecracker and how it may affect the angles of the fragments after the explosion.

Overall, it is important to carefully analyze and interpret the given information in order to accurately solve the problem. It is possible that the book's answer is incorrect, but it is also important to double check all calculations and assumptions made in order to ensure the accuracy of the solution.

Related to 2D Motion - Firecracker bursting

1. What causes a firecracker to burst?

A firecracker bursts due to a chemical reaction that occurs when an ignition source, typically a fuse, comes into contact with the explosive material inside the firecracker. This reaction results in a rapid release of energy, causing the firecracker to explode.

2. How does the height of a firecracker affect its burst?

The height of a firecracker does not directly affect its burst. However, the height at which it is ignited can impact the overall display of the burst. For example, if the firecracker is ignited closer to the ground, the burst may appear larger and more spread out compared to if it was ignited at a higher elevation.

3. What factors can influence the trajectory of a firecracker's burst?

The trajectory of a firecracker's burst can be influenced by various factors such as wind speed and direction, the shape and size of the firecracker, and the angle at which it is ignited. These factors can cause the burst to deviate from a straight path and create unique patterns in the sky.

4. How does the speed of a firecracker's burst compare to other objects in motion?

The speed of a firecracker's burst can vary depending on the type and size of the firecracker. However, in general, the burst occurs at a very high speed, ranging from a few hundred meters per second to over a kilometer per second. This can be compared to the speed of a bullet, which typically travels at around 800 meters per second.

5. Is there any danger associated with observing firecracker bursts?

While observing firecracker bursts can be entertaining and exciting, it is important to do so safely. Firecrackers can cause injuries if handled improperly or if they malfunction. It is recommended to observe firecracker bursts from a safe distance and to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.