2D Projectile Motion problem, is there a better solution?

In summary: Though I am still curious if there were any other ways (I have a feeling there are) just for the sake of knowing.In summary, there are various methods that can be used to solve the problem of finding the velocity of pebbles thrown by Romeo to hit Juliet's window with only a horizontal component. One possible method is to calculate the time required for the pebbles to reach the apex of their trajectory and then use that time to find the horizontal component of their initial velocity. However, there may be other methods that can be used as well.
Habeebe

Homework Statement

Romeo is chucking pebbles gently up to Juliet's window and he wants the pebbles to hit the window with only a horizontal component of velocity. He is standing at the edge of a rose garden 8.0 m below her window and 9.0 m from the base of the wall. How fast are the pebbles going when they hit her window?

Homework Equations

Is this asking the equations I use or equations provided? I guess the question that I'm answering, since I'm confident in my solution, is if there exists an easier route to the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

All units are in meters, seconds, and degrees. Since I don't convert between I won't put them in for ease of typing.

Since I know the trajectory starts at (0,0) and has a vertex at (9,8), I found the equation of the parabola.

[tex]y=a(x-9.0)^2+8.0[/tex]
[tex]a|_{(0,0)}=\frac{-8}{81}[/tex] substitute a back in and expand
[tex]y=\frac{-8x^2}{81}+\frac{16x}{9}[/tex] differentiate
[tex]y'=\frac{-16x}{81}+\frac{16}{9}[/tex] plugged in 0 for x to find the slope at origin and got 16/9 then found what angle that represents
[tex]\theta=arctan(\frac{16}{9})=60.6 degrees[/tex] Used V^2 under constant acceleration formula
[tex]V_y^2=V_{y0}^2-19.6*\Delta y[/tex]
[tex]0=V_{y0}^2-19.6*8[/tex]
[tex]V_{y0}=12.52[/tex] I know the vertical component and angle, so I find the horizontal component
[tex]V_{x0}=\frac{12.52}{tan(60.6)}=7.06 m/s[/tex]

Since the horizontal velocity doesn't change, and the vertical velocity is zero, then the velocity it hits the window is 7.06, the same as the starting horizontal velocity.I feel like the way I got here was really cumbersome. Was there an easier way for me to find the same thing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Habeebe said:

Homework Statement

Romeo is chucking pebbles gently up to Juliet's window and he wants the pebbles to hit the window with only a horizontal component of velocity. He is standing at the edge of a rose garden 8.0 m below her window and 9.0 m from the base of the wall. How fast are the pebbles going when they hit her window?

Homework Equations

Is this asking the equations I use or equations provided? I guess the question that I'm answering, since I'm confident in my solution, is if there exists an easier route to the solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

All units are in meters, seconds, and degrees. Since I don't convert between I won't put them in for ease of typing.

Since I know the trajectory starts at (0,0) and has a vertex at (9,8), I found the equation of the parabola.

[tex]y=a(x-9.0)^2+8.0[/tex]
[tex]a|_{(0,0)}=\frac{-8}{81}[/tex] substitute a back in and expand
[tex]y=\frac{-8x^2}{81}+\frac{16x}{9}[/tex] differentiate
[tex]y'=\frac{-16x}{81}+\frac{16}{9}[/tex] plugged in 0 for x to find the slope at origin and got 16/9 then found what angle that represents
[tex]\theta=arctan(\frac{16}{9})=60.6 degrees[/tex] Used V^2 under constant acceleration formula
[tex]V_y^2=V_{y0}^2-19.6*\Delta y[/tex]
[tex]0=V_{y0}^2-19.6*8[/tex]
[tex]V_{y0}=12.52[/tex] I know the vertical component and angle, so I find the horizontal component
[tex]V_{x0}=\frac{12.52}{tan(60.6)}=7.06 m/s[/tex]

Since the horizontal velocity doesn't change, and the vertical velocity is zero, then the velocity it hits the window is 7.06, the same as the starting horizontal velocity.I feel like the way I got here was really cumbersome. Was there an easier way for me to find the same thing?

Hi Habeebe, welcome to Physics Forums.

There are other ways to reach the result that you found. One such method would be to realize that you want the pebbles to reach the window at the apex of their trajectory arc, where the vertical velocity is zero and all that's left is the horizontal component of their initial velocity.

So, first calculate the time required for a pebble to reach the desired maximum height. This can be done using the known acceleration due to gravity for the vertical motion (g) and the desired maximum height (8.0m). Then use that time to find the x-component of the velocity given the required horizontal distance.

Last edited:
Thanks. That method took the last four lines of my paper, where the rest of the space was consumed by my method.

Related to 2D Projectile Motion problem, is there a better solution?

1. What is 2D projectile motion?

2D projectile motion is the motion of an object in two dimensions (horizontal and vertical) under the influence of gravity. It is often described using the equations of motion and can be used to predict the trajectory of a projectile.

2. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity, such as a ball, arrow, or bullet.

3. What is the best way to solve a 2D projectile motion problem?

The best way to solve a 2D projectile motion problem is by using the equations of motion, which include the horizontal and vertical components of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be used to determine the initial velocity, time of flight, and maximum height of the projectile.

4. Is there a better solution to 2D projectile motion problems than using the equations of motion?

There are other methods for solving 2D projectile motion problems, such as using vector components or graphical analysis. However, the equations of motion are the most commonly used and efficient method for solving these types of problems.

5. How can I check if my solution to a 2D projectile motion problem is correct?

You can check your solution by using the equations of motion to calculate the projectile's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. You can also compare your solution to known values or use a simulation to visualize the motion of the projectile.