2d steady state conduction matlab help

In summary, to solve this steady state 2d heat conduction problem, you can use the principle of superposition and for loops in MATLAB to calculate and plot a heat map for the given cavity with three different wall temperatures.
matlabnoob

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I am doing a steady state 2d heat conduction problem which is a 1mx1m cavity with three different wall temperatures on the 4 different walls.

I am using the principle of superposition to work this out.

What I want to do is plot a heat map on matlab.

I have a basic knowledge of MATLAB but the problem is I have three variables x,y and n in the series summation.

This means that i need to know a temperature value for every value of (x,y) between 0 and 1, at intervals of say 0.01 and for every value of (x,y) i need to work out the summation to an n value of approx 50 (when the change becomes negligible).

Is the best way to do this on MATLAB using for loops and outputting each answer to a matrix?

Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use for loops to solve this problem. You will need to create a matrix with the x and y values (each row representing an x value and each column representing a y value). Then, you can use a nested for loop to calculate the summation of the series for each (x,y) point. The result can be stored in the same matrix. Finally, you can use the matrix to plot the heat map.

Related to 2d steady state conduction matlab help

1. What is 2D steady state conduction?

2D steady state conduction refers to the transfer of heat through a material in two dimensions, where the temperature remains constant or does not change over time. This is typically analyzed using mathematical equations and simulations.

2. What is the importance of using MATLAB for 2D steady state conduction?

MATLAB is a programming language that allows for efficient and accurate analysis of complex mathematical equations, making it an ideal tool for analyzing 2D steady state conduction. It provides a wide range of built-in functions and tools that can be used to solve and visualize the results of these equations.

3. How can I use MATLAB to solve for 2D steady state conduction?

To solve for 2D steady state conduction using MATLAB, you will need to first define the boundary conditions and properties of the material, such as thermal conductivity and temperature distribution. Then, you can use various built-in functions and tools, such as the "pdepe" function, to solve the equations and visualize the results.

4. Can MATLAB be used for both steady state and transient 2D conduction?

Yes, MATLAB can be used for both steady state and transient 2D conduction. While steady state conduction refers to a constant temperature distribution, transient conduction refers to a changing temperature distribution over time. MATLAB has functions and tools that can be used for both types of conduction.

5. Are there any limitations to using MATLAB for 2D steady state conduction?

One limitation of using MATLAB for 2D steady state conduction is that it may not be suitable for highly complex geometries or materials with non-linear properties. In these cases, more advanced numerical methods or software may be necessary to accurately analyze the conduction. Additionally, MATLAB may require a longer processing time for large and complex simulations.