2nd Law of Thermo relation to initial condition of universe

In summary, the second law of thermodynamics is not an absolute law, but rather a result of the initial conditions of our universe. In a universe with different initial conditions, the second law could potentially be time-symmetric. However, in our current universe, the second law is time-asymmetric due to the drive towards higher entropy. There is no upper bound for the maximum entropy of the universe.
rollingstein
Gold Member
While reading some articles on Wikipedia I came upon one interesting statement that essential says (I've rephrased for clarity; correct me if I'm wrong):

"The Time-asymmetry of the second law of thermodynamics is due to the initial conditions of our universe"

Can someone elaborate on what this means? I always thought of the 2nd law as axiomatic / empirical & at best derived from statistical mechanics. But what's the connection to the initial conditions of our universe?

Had the Initial Conditions been somewhat different could we have ended up with a time-symmetric 2nd Law? (or does that mean no 2nd law?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-symmetry

Science news on Phys.org
rollingstein said:
"The Time-asymmetry of the second law of thermodynamics is due to the initial conditions of our universe"

Can someone elaborate on what this means? I always thought of the 2nd law as axiomatic / empirical & at best derived from statistical mechanics. But what's the connection to the initial conditions of our universe?

This is explained in more details in the paragraph Macroscopic phenomena: the second law of thermodynamics.

rollingstein said:
Had the Initial Conditions been somewhat different could we have ended up with a time-symmetric 2nd Law? (or does that mean no 2nd law?)
In a maximum entropy universe, there would be no drive towards higher entropy, and the time-asymmetry due to the second law (systems evolve towards higher entropy states, but not the other way around, in any significant fashion) would go away, with fluctuations in either direction (towards higher or lower entropy) equally probable.

Is there an upper bound on how high the entropy of our universe can eventually get?

FAQ: 2nd Law of Thermo relation to initial condition of universe

What is the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics and how does it relate to the initial condition of the universe?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from hot to cold objects and that systems will tend towards a state of maximum disorder. This law applies to the entire universe, including its initial condition.

How does the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics explain the beginning of the universe?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics does not directly explain the beginning of the universe, but it does provide insight into the state of the universe at its inception. The initial condition of the universe is thought to be a state of low entropy, meaning that it was highly ordered. As the universe evolved and expanded, entropy increased and the universe moved towards a state of maximum disorder.

What implications does the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics have for the future of the universe?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics predicts that the universe will continue to increase in entropy, leading to a state of maximum disorder known as heat death. This means that all energy will be evenly distributed and no work will be possible, effectively ending the universe as we know it.

Are there any exceptions to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

While the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle, there are some rare instances where entropy may decrease or remain constant in a closed system. These exceptions are known as local decreases in entropy and they do not violate the overall trend of increasing entropy in the universe.

How does the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of time?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is often used to explain the arrow of time, which is the observed phenomenon that time only moves in one direction - from past to future. The increasing entropy of the universe is thought to be the reason for this, as it creates a sense of directionality and progression in the universe.