2nd order ODE - undetermined coefficients?

In summary: Yes, the real and imaginary parts of the solution are also solutions, so you can take the real part and get the general solution.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

1) Find the general solution of y''+ω02=Ccos3(ωx)

2) Show there exists two frequencies at which resonance occurs and determine them

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried the method of undetermined coefficients, assuming a solution of the form y=(Acos(ωx)+Bsin(ωx))3. I'm not 100% sure about this - if the RHS was just one trigonometric function, then you assume a solution that's a linear combination of sines and cosines. The trig function here is cubed so I just assumed you cube the linear combination.
Is this correct the correct approach? Algebra is real hairy if it is!

For the second part, what exactly is resonance in this context - what am I supposed to show?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you made a typo in the equation and it should be ##y''+\omega_0^2 y = C\cos^3(\omega x)##.

The algebra is probably easier if you write ##\cos^3(\omega x)## as a Fourier series. (The series only has 2 non-zero terms).

Resonance means the same as in any other context. There are two values of ##\omega## where the general solution has a different form and the amplitude increases to infinity - just like the general solution of ##y''+\omega_0^2 y = C\cos(\omega x)## for one value of ##\omega##.

Likes 1 person
Ah yeah, thanks for pointing that out. We haven't done Fourier series yet - I don't think it's even in the syllabus for this course but I'll have a look into it.

You don't need to think of it as "Fourier series". Just use trig identities.

[itex]cos(2x)= cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)= 2cos^2(x)- 1[/itex] so that [itex]cos^2(x)= (1/2)(cos(2x)+ 1)[/itex]. Then [itex]cos^3(x)= (cos^2(x))cos(x)= (1/2)(cos(2x)+ 1)cos(x)= (1/2)cos(x)cos(2x)+ (1/2)cos(x)[/itex].

And cos(a+b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b) so that cos(3x)= cos(2x+ x)= cos(2x)cos(x)- sin(2x)sin(x) while cos(x)= cos(2x- x)= cos(2x)cos(-x)- sin(2x)sin(-x)= cos(2x)cos(x)+ sin(2x)sin(x). Adding those two equations, the "sin(2x)sin(x)" terms cancel giving cos(3x)+ cos(x)= 2cos(2x)cos(x) so that cos(2x)cos(x)= (1/2)cos(3x)+(1/2) cos(x).

Putting that into the previous equation, [itex]cos^3(\omega x)=(1/2)((1/2)cos(3\omega x)+ (1/2)cos(\omega x))+ (1/2)cos(\omega x)= (1/4)cos(3\omega x)+ (3/4)cos(\omega x)[/itex]. Those are the "two non-zero terms" AlephZero referred to.

Likes 2 people
The reason I said Fourier series was to give some motivation for what HallsofIvy did. The left hand side of the ODE is the equation for simple harmonic motion, and you might already know about forced vibration and resonance if the right hand side was a single sine or cosine function. So converting the ##\cos^3## into a sum of cosines seems like a good thing to try ...

Otherwise, it might look a bit like a conjuring trick that you couldn't be expected to figure out for yourself.

But if you didn't know about what a Fourier series was, communication failure!

Wow, thanks a lot! Would never have thought of that - trig was one of my extra weaker points back in high school.

I've solved the non-homogenous case, gotten the resonance frequencies and now doing the homogenous case to get the general solution. The solution I've got for [itex]y''=\omega_0^2y=0[/itex] is [itex]y=iC_1e^{-i\omega_0t}+C_2e^{i\omega_0t}[/itex]. Using Euler's formula, I expanded this out:
[itex]y=iC_1cos(w_0t)+C_1sin(w_0t)+C_2cos(w_0t)+iC_2sin(w_0t)[/itex].

There's a theorem that says that if the real and imaginary parts of a solution are also solutions (in this context), so then it would be correct to take the real part

[itex]y=C_1sin(w_0t)+C_2cos(w_0t)[/itex]

and add on one of the inhomogeneous solutions to obtain the general solution, right?

FAQ: 2nd order ODE - undetermined coefficients?

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is typically used to model physical systems in which the rate of change of a quantity depends on both the current value of the quantity and the rate of change itself.

2. What are undetermined coefficients?

Undetermined coefficients refer to the unknown constants that must be determined in order to find a particular solution to a 2nd order ODE. These coefficients are often represented by letters such as A, B, C, etc. and are typically found by setting up a system of equations using initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order ODE using undetermined coefficients?

The general process for solving a 2nd order ODE using undetermined coefficients involves finding a particular solution by assuming a form for the solution and plugging it into the equation. Then, the unknown coefficients are determined by substituting in known values or conditions and solving for them. Finally, the general solution is found by combining the particular solution with the complementary solution (the solution to the associated homogeneous equation).

4. What are the types of functions used in undetermined coefficients?

The types of functions typically used in undetermined coefficients are polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and combinations of these. The specific form of the function used depends on the form of the non-homogeneous term in the 2nd order ODE.

5. Can undetermined coefficients be used to solve any 2nd order ODE?

No, undetermined coefficients can only be used to solve 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODEs. These are equations in which the dependent variable and its derivatives are multiplied by coefficients and added together, and there is a non-zero term on one side of the equation. Other methods, such as variation of parameters, must be used to solve non-linear or non-homogeneous 2nd order ODEs.

Back