2nd order ODE's odd and even functions

In summary, we discussed the process of solving a second order inhomogeneous linear ODE with an even function on the right-hand side. The particular integral can be found using Fourier series, which only includes cosine terms because of the even function. The complementary function is then found from the homogeneous equation, and the general solution is the sum of the particular integral and complementary function. When the original function is even, the constant B must equal zero in all cases. However, this does not apply to the general solution in all cases. The odd or even-ness of the function does not affect the complementary function, but it does affect the Fourier series used to find the particular integral.
ppy
Hi

I have been looking at some lecture notes inc the following example. Solve :
y'' + ω^2y = (some even function)
The particular integral is then found using Fourier series. As the function on the RHS is even this only includes cosine terms.
The complementary function is found from the homogeneous equation and is
y= Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt)

The general solution is the P.I. + C.F. My question is ; as the original function is even does that mean the constant B must equal zero in all cases ?

In general for a 2nd order inhomogeneous linear ODE if the function on the RHS is odd or even does that imply anything about the general solution ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ppy! :smile:
ppy said:
The general solution is the P.I. + C.F. My question is ; as the original function is even does that mean the constant B must equal zero in all cases ?

no

if y is a solution of y'' + ω2y = f(t),

then y + Bsinωt will be also, since:

(y + Bsinωt)'' + ω2(y + Bsinωt)

= y'' + ω2y + (Bsinωt)'' + ω2Bsinωt

= f(t) + 0 :wink:

thanks for that.
So when working out the particular integral the odd or even-ness of the function affects the Fourier series ? But for the complementary function it has no effect ?

that's right :smile:

you can add any complementary solution to your particular solution, and still have a solution …

(that's fairly easy to prove quite generally, by the same method i used above)

Likes 1 person

Thank you for your question. In regards to the example you provided, it is correct that the particular integral will only include cosine terms since the function on the right-hand side is even. As for the complementary function, it is determined by the homogeneous equation and can take on different forms depending on the initial conditions. Therefore, the constant B may or may not equal zero in all cases. It ultimately depends on the specific problem being solved.

In general, if the function on the right-hand side is odd, it will only contain sine terms in the particular integral. If it is even, it will only contain cosine terms. However, this does not necessarily imply anything about the general solution. The general solution will still depend on the particular solution and the complementary function, which can have different forms depending on the initial conditions. It is important to consider all aspects of the problem when determining the general solution. I hope this helps clarify your question.

Related to 2nd order ODE's odd and even functions

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is used to model natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are odd and even functions?

Odd and even functions are types of functions that have certain symmetry properties. An odd function is one in which the function's value is negated when the input is negated. An even function is one in which the function's value remains the same when the input is negated.

3. How do odd and even functions relate to second order ODE's?

Odd and even functions can be used to classify certain types of second order ODE's. For example, an odd function can be used to describe a system with a symmetric equilibrium point, while an even function can be used to describe a system with an asymmetric equilibrium point.

4. What are some examples of second order ODE's involving odd and even functions?

One example is the Duffing equation, which is an odd function used to model nonlinear oscillations. Another example is the Lotka-Volterra equation, which is an even function used to model predator-prey interactions.

5. How can we solve second order ODE's involving odd and even functions?

There are various methods for solving second order ODE's, such as using power series, numerical methods, or Laplace transforms. For specific examples involving odd and even functions, the method of separation of variables can often be used to obtain a general solution.