3) Calculate the dimensions of the straight circular cone, smaller volume that can be circumscribed

In summary: This is what I would do:Draw a cross-section of the cylinder and cone through its apex (and the widest part of the cylinder) perpendicular to the base of the cone and cylinder.If the cylinder has height H, and radius R, draw the origin at the center of the base (so it is at (0,0)). Then we know the edge of the cone and the top of the cylinder intersect at the point (R,H).It should be clear the apex of the cone is at (0,h) and the widest part of the base is at (r,0).Determine a formula
leprofece
3) Calculate the dimensions of the straight circular cone, smaller volume that can be circumscribed around a cylinder of RADIUS "R" and height "H".

Answer is h = 3H and r= 3R/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, see rule #11 http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/ (select "Explained Rules" instead of "General Rules" in the dropbox at the top of the page for more information).

leprofece said:
3) Calculate the dimensions of the straight circular cone, smaller volume that can be circumscribed around a cylinder of RADIUS "R" and height "H".
I assume you need a cone with the smallest volume. I recommend denoting the dimensions (radius and height) of the cylinder by $r$ and $h$ and those of the cone by $R$ and $H$, since they are bigger. You can parametrize the problem by $R$ and express $H$ through $R$, $r$ and $h$. After that, express the volume of the cone and minimize it.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
First, see rule #11 http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/ (select "Explained Rules" instead of "General Rules" in the dropbox at the top of the page for more information).

I assume you need a cone with the smallest volume. I recommend denoting the dimensions (radius and height) of the cylinder by $r$ and $h$ and those of the cone by $R$ and $H$, since they are bigger. You can parametrize the problem by $R$ and express $H$ through $R$, $r$ and $h$. After that, express the volume of the cone and minimize it.

I need to show the answer provided Could you give the entire procedure?

We need *you* to show some work...what have you done so far?

leprofece said:
I need to show the answer provided Could you give the entire procedure?

Hello Jose,

Our primary goal here at MHB is to assist students in coming to a solution themselves. You will benefit much more in actively participating in the problem versus watching someone else work the problem. The best way we can do this is if you show your work or thoughts and this will give us a better idea where you are stuck and need assistance.

Most times, it is very beneficial to have it explained to us why what we are trying is wrong. You may very well not realize this just seeing someone else work the problem, and then you may make the same type of mistake on a future problem, without knowing why it is wrong.

This is why we expect effort to be shown, because not only does it make it easier for our helpers to address specific issues you may have, you then build more confidence to do other problems in the future as you have already taken an active role in this problem.

So, can you show how you would apply the help that has already been given?

MarkFL said:
Hello Jose,

Our primary goal here at MHB is to assist students in coming to a solution themselves. You will benefit much more in actively participating in the problem versus watching someone else work the problem. The best way we can do this is if you show your work or thoughts and this will give us a better idea where you are stuck and need assistance.

Most times, it is very beneficial to have it explained to us why what we are trying is wrong. You may very well not realize this just seeing someone else work the problem, and then you may make the same type of mistake on a future problem, without knowing why it is wrong.

This is why we expect effort to be shown, because not only does it make it easier for our helpers to address specific issues you may have, you then build more confidence to do other problems in the future as you have already taken an active role in this problem.

So, can you show how you would apply the help that has already been given?

ok Volume cone V = pi r2h from there on , I can not apply the pitagorean calculus to get
the cone into the cylinder
something like that
h/r = h-r/R
as it is suggested in my book
It is a very difficult problem like the others what I have asked noy very commons in books and universities but here in Venezuela they are asked in a very good private university
I appreciate your help

This is what I would do:

Draw a cross-section of the cylinder and cone through its apex (and the widest part of the cylinder) perpendicular to the base of the cone and cylinder.

If the cylinder has height H, and radius R, draw the origin at the center of the base (so it is at (0,0)). Then we know the edge of the cone and the top of the cylinder intersect at the point (R,H).

It should be clear the apex of the cone is at (0,h) and the widest part of the base is at (r,0).

Determine a formula for the line that goes through (0,h), (R,H) and (r,0). This will let you deduce what h is in terms of r,R, and H. My suggestion is to use the "two-point" formula for a line, using (R,H) and (r,0) as your 2 points.

Next, set $V(r) = \pi r^2h$.

Substitute your value for h in as a formula in r,R and H (R and H are constants, so we get a function of just one variable, r).

Use some property you learned from calculus about when V has a local maximum or minimum.

If you can find either of r and h, finding the other one should be easy.

a line well thanks for your trying but i think you are getting more confused to me

Deveno said:
It should be clear the apex of the cone is at (0,h) and the widest part of the base is at (r,0).
According to which definitions of $r$ and $h$?
Evgeny.Makarov said:
I recommend denoting the dimensions (radius and height) of the cylinder by $r$ and $h$ and those of the cone by $R$ and $H$, since they are bigger.

Deveno said:
Determine a formula for the line that goes through (0,h), (R,H) and (r,0). This will let you deduce what h is in terms of r,R, and H. My suggestion is to use the "two-point" formula for a line, using (R,H) and (r,0) as your 2 points.
Alternatively, use the similarity of triangles in the cross-section.

Deveno said:
Next, set $V(r) = \pi r^2h$.
Should be $(1/3)\pi r^2h$, but the constant multiplier is irrelevant for finding the point of minimum.

leprofece said:
Volume cone V = pi r2h
Times 1/3.

leprofece said:
I can not apply the pitagorean calculus to get
the cone into the cylinder
You don't need the Pythagorean theorem.

leprofece said:
something like that
h/r = h-r/R
as it is suggested in my book
You can get something like that. Let the dimensions of the cylinder be $r,h$ and the dimensions of the cone be $R,H$. Then from similar triangles we get
\[
\frac{h}{R-r}=\frac{H}{R}, \text{ or }H=\frac{hR}{R-r}
\]
Thus, the volume of the cone is
\[
V(R)=\frac{\pi hR^3}{3(R-r)}
\]
The constant factor $\pi h/3$ does not change the $R$ for which the expression is minimized. We have
\[
\frac{d}{dR}\left(\frac{R^3}{R-r}\right)=\frac{3R^2(R-r)-R^3}{(R-r)^2}
\]
Setting the denominator numerator to zero gives the requires expression of $R$ through $r$.

Last edited:
Yes I forgot about the 1/3. It turns out it won't matter.

Anyway, what I meant is:

The line that is rotated about the y-axis to form the cone is:

$y = \dfrac{0 - H}{r - R}(x - R) + H$

I am using the original poster's H and R, they're just SYMBOLS and suggesting he change them to suit what you think they ought to be seems to add extra confusion.

since (0,h) lies on this line, we get that:

$h = \dfrac{-H}{r - R}(-R) + H$

Putting everything over a common denominator gives:

$h = \dfrac{HR + Hr - HR}{r - R} = \dfrac{Hr}{r - R}$

so we have:

$V(r) = \dfrac{\pi Hr^3}{3(r - R)}$

The factor $\dfrac{\pi H}{3}$ is just a constant, we need to differentiate:

$f(r) = \dfrac{r^3}{r - R}$.

The quotient rule gives:

$f'(r) = \dfrac{(r - R)(3r^2) - (r^3)}{(r - R)^2} = \dfrac{r^2(3(r - R) - r)}{(r - R)^2}$

$= \dfrac{r^2(2r - 3R)}{(r - R)^2}$

which is 0 when the denominator is 0.

One of the possible solutions can be discarded, since it reflects a null cone.

FAQ: 3) Calculate the dimensions of the straight circular cone, smaller volume that can be circumscribed

1. What is a straight circular cone?

A straight circular cone is a three-dimensional figure with a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point, or apex, at the top. It is formed by rotating a right triangle around one of its legs.

2. What is a circumscribed cone?

A circumscribed cone is a cone that is drawn around a given shape in such a way that it touches all of the shape's vertices. In this case, we are looking for the smallest volume cone that can fit around a given shape.

3. How do you calculate the dimensions of a straight circular cone?

The dimensions of a straight circular cone can be calculated using the formula:

radius = (volume / pi * height)^(1/3)

where the volume is the desired volume for the cone and pi is the mathematical constant, approximately equal to 3.14.

4. How do you determine the smallest volume for a circumscribed cone?

The smallest volume for a circumscribed cone can be determined by finding the minimum value of the formula mentioned in the previous answer. This will give us the smallest possible radius for the given volume, and then we can calculate the height using the same formula.

5. Can the dimensions of a straight circular cone be negative?

No, the dimensions of a straight circular cone cannot be negative. The radius and height of a cone are always positive values, representing the length of the cone's base and its height, respectively.