3 phase generator output voltage formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal output voltage for single phase and three phase generators. The formula for single phase is V = N*A*2PI*RPM/60*B, while for three phase it is V = N*A*2PI*RPM/60*B*SQRT(3). The person is trying to build a spreadsheet for variable speed generator design but is having difficulty verifying it against an existing generator. They are seeking clarification on the formula and what type of voltage to measure.
cboz
Greetings,

According to Faraday, a single phase generator ideal output voltage is:

V = N*A*2PI*RPM/60*B

Then should a three phase be:

V = N*A*2PI*RPM/60* B * SQRT(3) ?

I'm trying to build a spreadsheet to get ballpark numbers for simple variable speed generator design, but having difficulty empirically verifying against an existing generator. I may be calculating my Area or Flux Density incorrectly, but thought I'd get a sanity check on the basic formula first.

I assume I should be measuring open load peak-to-peak voltage? It's wye connected measuring line to tline.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have to give more specifics before we can answer. For example, are the answers different from measurementt by SQRT(3)?

FAQ: 3 phase generator output voltage formula

1. What is the formula for calculating 3 phase generator output voltage?

The formula for calculating 3 phase generator output voltage is Vph = Vline/√3, where Vph is the phase voltage and Vline is the line voltage.

2. How do you determine the line voltage of a 3 phase generator?

The line voltage of a 3 phase generator can be determined by multiplying the phase voltage by √3. This is because the line voltage is the voltage between any two phases.

3. What is the difference between phase voltage and line voltage in a 3 phase generator?

Phase voltage refers to the voltage between any one phase and the neutral point, while line voltage refers to the voltage between any two phases. In a 3 phase generator, the line voltage is √3 times higher than the phase voltage.

4. Does the formula for 3 phase generator output voltage change for different types of generators?

Yes, the formula for 3 phase generator output voltage may vary depending on the type of generator. For example, in an AC generator, the formula is Vph = Vline/√2, while in a DC generator, the formula is Vph = Vline.

5. How can the output voltage of a 3 phase generator be increased?

The output voltage of a 3 phase generator can be increased by increasing the speed of the generator or by increasing the number of windings in the stator. Another way is to connect multiple generators in parallel, which will increase the overall output voltage.

Back