3 point electrical charge problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the origin (0,0) given 3 point charges and using the equations E = (k * q) / (r^2), Etotal = Ex + Ey, Vx = (Magnitude * Cos(θ) ), and Vy = (Magnitude * Sin(θ) ). The solution requires finding the distances of each point from the origin, determining the magnitude of each electric field, and using the law of cosines to find the correct angles for each point. Care must be taken to ensure the angles are in the correct quadrant.
ievans_wsu

Homework Statement

Given 3 point charges as follows:
1) a +2.5uC charge at (-0.20m , 0.15m)
2) a -4.8uC charge at (0.50m , -0.35m)
3) a -6.3uC charge at (-0.42m , 0.32m)

What is the electric field at the origin (0,0)?

Homework Equations

E = (k * q) / (r^2) (To find the magnitude)

k = 9.0e9 (N m^2)/C^2

Etotal = Ex + Ey

Vx = (Magnitude * Cos(θ) )
Vy = (Magnitude * Sin(θ) )

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I plotted each point on a plane, and found the distance each point was from the origin using basic trig.

Point 1 had a distance of .25m
Point 2 had a distance of .61m
Point 3 had a distance of .53m

From there, I found the magnitude using the first stated equation.

E1 = 3.6e5 N/C
E2 = 1.2e5 N/C
E3 = 2.0e5 N/C

My textbook ends here saying that the addition of the vector magnitudes along the X axis should yield Ex. If i do that, I get E1 + E2 - E3 which equates out to be roughly 2.8e5. The answer in the back of the book states 2.1e5 is the correct answer. So, I did some online digging and found that the law of cosines is needed, but is not stated anywhere in the textbook sample problem. The angles I found were as followed

1) 37°
2) 35°
3) 38°

Using these angles in the equation of (Magnitude)(cos(Angle) I found the following new values

E1 = 2.88e5
E2 = 9.5e4
E3 = 1.59e5

Adding these in the manner stated before (E1 + E2 - E3) I get 2.24e5, which satisfies the X component of the problem. Now, when it comes to the Y component, I found that if you take the Sine of the angles above, and multiply them by the magnitude, it should result in the overall Y vector. The book states that -4.1e3 should be the answer, but I get nowhere near that answer. I get -1.58e5. It's been a while since I've taken physics so I'm a bit rusty. Are there any steps or equations that I'm not seeing? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be more careful with the angles. In particular make sure you're getting the angle in the correct quadrant. I'm getting

1) 180 - 36.9 = 143.1°
2) -35.0°
3) 180 - 37.3 = 142.7°

Okay, I completely forgot about the sign changes between quadrants. My question though is why is point 3 180 - 37.3? Cosine is postive in Quadrant IV, I'm just not sure why 180 is being used to get the angle. Thanks!

Related to 3 point electrical charge problem

1. What is a 3 point electrical charge problem?

A 3 point electrical charge problem is a physics problem that involves three charged particles and their interactions with each other. These particles can be either positively or negatively charged, and their position and magnitude of charge determine the overall behavior of the system.

2. How do I solve a 3 point electrical charge problem?

To solve a 3 point electrical charge problem, you need to use the principles of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. You also need to use vector addition to determine the net force and direction of the particles.

3. What are the units used for electrical charge in a 3 point charge problem?

The SI unit for electrical charge is the Coulomb (C). In a 3 point charge problem, the charges of each particle are typically given in microcoulombs (µC) or nanocoulombs (nC).

4. Can a 3 point electrical charge problem have a net zero force?

Yes, it is possible for a 3 point electrical charge problem to have a net zero force. This occurs when the forces between the particles cancel out due to their positions and magnitudes of charge. In this case, the system is said to be in equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of 3 point electrical charge problems?

3 point electrical charge problems have many practical applications, such as in circuit analysis, determining the stability of atomic nuclei, and understanding the behavior of particles in a plasma (ionized gas). They are also used in designing and optimizing electronic devices and in the study of electrostatic interactions in biological systems.