3 Questions about Force Table - Need someone to check my answers

In summary, on the force table, you use resultant force, equilibrant and weight. The ring must be centered on the post to ensure correct direction of force. If equal weights are taken away from each hanger, the system will still be in equilibrium, but if the weights are reduced by different amounts, the system will be thrown out of balance.
Aransaja
Hello

I have an assignment to do about the force table.
I'm not sure about my answers, hope someone could check it for me if I answered correctly.

1.What kind of forces do you use on the force table? Explain about the used forces.

Resultant force, Equilibrant and Weight.
-Resultant force is a single force which has the same effect on an object as two or more forces are acting on that object.
-Equilibrant is a single force, which holds a whole system of concurrent forces in equilibrium.
-Weight = mg (where m=mass of an object and g = gravitational acceleration)

2.Why does the ring need to be centered at the post on the force table in finding the equilibrant?

Because if it's not centered the direction of force on the force table will be incorrect.

3.In a certain experiment using a force table, the system is in equilibrium at the center post with four forces are acting on the center ring and all forces are not in straight-line positions. If equal weights are taken away from each hanger, should the system be still in equilibrium at the same position? Explain.

Yes, the system would still be in equilibrium because there is still the same amount of forces acting on each string.

Yep, these are my answers. They look soo short to me. That's why it makes me feel so unsure with my answers. Is there something I forgot and didn't mentioned?
And most important are my answers right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Aransaja!
I think you have #1 well in hand. I would have said "gravitational forces" so you are way ahead of me.
I don't understand #2 at all. When my students did this experiment, they never had a post for the ring. The key to the whole thing is that the ring does not move, so according to F=ma, the total force (your equilibrant) is zero. We used spring scales instead of weights. I don't know the details of your apparatus, but if you are using hanging weights you must have pulleys to reduce friction at the bend in the strings. Could it be that all the pulleys are "aimed" at the post and therefore the ring must be at the post to prevent horizontal bending of the strings at the pulleys, resulting in friction?
For #3, if you reduced each weight by half, it would stay in equilibrium. But if you reduce each by 1 kg, it will be thrown out of balance. Say you have masses of 2 kg, 3 kg, and 4 kg and reduce each by 1. These are 50%, 33% and 25% reductions so the forces will no longer add up to zero.

Related to 3 Questions about Force Table - Need someone to check my answers

1. What is a force table?

A force table is a device used in physics experiments to demonstrate vectors and forces. It consists of a circular table with a central point to which various weights can be attached at different angles. The table is equipped with a protractor and a set of pulleys to measure and manipulate forces.

2. How does a force table work?

A force table works by allowing the user to create and manipulate vectors and forces. By attaching weights to the central point at different angles, the user can simulate different forces acting on an object. The protractor and pulleys then allow for the measurement and calculation of these forces.

3. What types of experiments can be performed using a force table?

A force table can be used to perform experiments related to vector addition, equilibrium, and the resolution of forces. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion and to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces in a given system.

4. How accurate is a force table?

The accuracy of a force table depends on the precision of its construction and the skill of the user in setting up and conducting the experiment. With proper calibration and careful measurement, a force table can provide results with a high level of accuracy.

5. Is a force table used in real-life applications?

While a force table may not have direct real-life applications, the concepts and principles demonstrated by it are used in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. Understanding vectors and forces is essential in designing structures and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

Back