Is Everything Connected by Quantum Entanglement?

In summary, a 16-year-old aspiring physicist had 3 questions about quantum entanglement, the observer effect, and a philosopher's theory on the concept of space. The expert summarizer provided information on the speculative nature of quantum entanglement, the applicability of the observer effect and uncertainty principle in the macro world, and the need to separate scientific facts from pseudoscience by focusing on actual physical experiments.
Rajkovic
Hi, I have 16 years old, I am planning to be a physicist in the near future, and I have 3 doubts, could you guys answer to me?

1. Does quantum entanglement proves that everything is connected?
http://phys.org/news/2015-01-popper-againbut.html#nRlv

2. 'The Observer Effect' and 'The Uncertainty Principle' somehow apply in the macro world?

3. I saw one day a philosopher who said that because of 'quantum entanglement' he could sustain his theory about the "space can be an illusion of our minds" because the "Spooky Action at distance". And I ended up getting in doubt, tell me this is pseudoscience?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I once read in a book that Quantum entanglement is usually thought of as some sort of faster-than-light connection, that however, is based on the fact that they are separate "things",which does not seem to be the case.

1. Only if everything interacted with each other at some point. The universe is very big, and there are parts of the universe which are too far to detect yet. I don't think there's any way to be connected to them. For objects closer together, in practice, the effects of entanglement become invisible at macroscopic scales because it becomes impossible to track all of the interactions with the environment, and it looks totally random.

2. Anytime we use a device or experiment to measure quantum effects, we are coupling the micro world to the macro world. So, quantum effects certainly effect the macro world.

3. Without knowing the exact context, I cannot know if you are properly relaying the philosopher's statements, but it sounds like pseudoscience.

1. Quantum entanglement proves nothing. There are certain interpretations of quantum mechanics that would say that entanglement suggests the possibility that the Universe can be described by a single wavefunction, of which all particles are sub-systems. This is of course, very speculative, but interesting to think about.

2a. The observer effect and the uncertainty principle do apply to the macro world. Even classically, a measurement slightly changes that which is measured, simply because of conservation of momentum and energy. You could say measure how fast a car is going by bouncing radio waves off of it. This changes the momentum of the car (a ridiculously small amount), but if you were measuring the speed of something much lighter, the impact would be a lot more significant.

2b. The uncertainty principle also applies to the macro world as well. Anything with wave-like behavior has an uncertainty principle associated to it. One neat example is in sound waves. It's impossible to play a single note for an arbitrarily short duration. Instead of being a smooth note for a shorter and shorter period of time, the frequency spectrum of the sound will have a wider and wider range until what sounded like a single note, sounds like a random noise.

3. Spooky action at a distance only implies (very generously) that there are certain aspects of quantum measurement events that cannot be explained locally (i.e., by influences traveling at or below the speed of light). If you want to separate the science from the pseudoscience, a good manner of intuition about quantum mechanics can be gathered by learning about actual physical experiments. Optics works particularly nicely for this.

Likes m90 and bhobba
Thank you guys for the answers ♥

Related to Is Everything Connected by Quantum Entanglement?

Q: What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

Q: What is the Observer Effect?

The Observer Effect is the idea that the act of observing or measuring a particle's state can actually change that state. In other words, the mere act of observing something at the quantum level can alter its behavior.

Q: What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and velocity of a particle at the same time. This is due to the nature of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics.

Q: How are entanglement, the Observer Effect, and the Uncertainty Principle related?

Entanglement, the Observer Effect, and the Uncertainty Principle are all fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics that demonstrate the strange and counterintuitive nature of the quantum world. They are all interconnected and show that at the quantum level, things behave in ways that are different from what we observe in the macroscopic world.

Q: How is our understanding of these concepts important in scientific research?

Our understanding of entanglement, the Observer Effect, and the Uncertainty Principle is crucial in many areas of scientific research, particularly in quantum computing and communication. These concepts also have implications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology, and are essential for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.