3 Springs and 2 Mass System in a line

In summary, the two masses are not necessarily in equilibrium when the system is set into motion. The equations for their motion are found by solving a set of four differential equations.
Jwen556

Homework Statement

I have 2 walls, 3 springs, and two masses. The masses and springs are not necessarily similar to the other(s).
They are connected in a configuration: Wall-Spring1-Mass1-Spring2-Mass2-Spring3-Wall.
I need to find equation for both masses, given that not all springs are in equilibrium when the system is set into motion.
Assume that for this system, there is one scenario in which the system is in its equilibrium state. In this state, x_1 and x_2 (defined below) are 0.

Springs constants: k_1, k_2, k_3
Masses: m_1, m_2
Displacement of mass 1 from equilibrium: x_1
Displacement of mass 2 from equilibrium: x_2

Homework Equations

F = -kx
U = 1/2 * kx^2
K = 1/2 * mv^2
E = U + K
dE/dt = 0 (closed system)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the forces on each mass for a given position and found that
F_1 = -k_1 * x_1 - k_2 * (x_1 - x_2)
F_2 = -k_3 * x_2 - k_2 * (x_2 - x_1)
Also, E = 1/2(∑kx^2 + ∑mv^2)

(' denote derivative with respect to time)
and dE/dT = k_1*x_1*x_1' + k_3*x_2*x_2' + k_2*(x_1 - x_2)(x_1' - x_2') + m_1*x_1'*x_1'' + m_2*x_2'*x_2'' = 0

But I'm not sure what to do from here.
First, are my equations for force correct? The middle spring (#2) applies the force F=-kx to two objects and I have only ever dealt with springs fixed on one end so I'm not sure.
Also the dE/dT = 0 is a nonlinear differential equation and I have only ever dealt with linear differential equations so I don't know how to solve it.

Would this be better in Physics homework help? I posted here since it is homework for a DE course.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've started correctly, but I would not use "energy" here. Directly from "F= ma" you have the two equations for the motion of the two objects
[tex]m_1\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}= -k_1x_1- k_2(x_1- x_2)= -(k_1+ k_2)x_1+ k_2x_2[/tex]
[tex]m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}= -k_3x_2- k_2(x_2- x_1)= k_2x_1- (k_2+ k_3)x_3[/tex]

Depending upon how you want to treat it, that can be reduced to a single fourth order equation or to four first order equations.

I have only ever worked with single second-order linear differential equations and I'm not sure how to approach reducing. I tried taking the derivative of the second equation with respect to time twice and substituting [tex]\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2} = -\frac{k_1}{m_1}x_1 - \frac{k_2}{m_1}(x_1 - x_2)[/tex] and get (after substituting, distributing minus signs, and multiplying both sides by [itex]m_1[/itex]) [tex]m_1m_2\frac{d^4x_2}{dt^4} = -m_1(k_2 + k_3)\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} - k_2(k_1 + k_2)x_1 + k_x^2x_2[/tex] but there is still the [itex]x_1[/itex] term that I'm not sure how to get rid of.

edit; Ok, I substituted [itex]x_1[/itex] from the original equation for [itex]m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}[/itex] and got fourth order differential equations for both x_1 and x_2. Unsurprisingly, the coefficients were the same. I got
[tex]m_1m_2\frac{d^4x}{dt^4} + (m_1k_2 + m_1k_3 + m_2k_1 + m_2k_2)\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + (k_1k_2 + k_1k_3 + k_2k_3)x = 0[/tex] in which [itex]x[/itex] is either [itex]x_1 or x_2[/itex].

Assuming solution is [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex] I get four lambdas so my solution is [tex]
x = c_1e^{\lambda_1 t} + c_2e^{\lambda_2 t} + c_3e^{\lambda_3 t} + c_4e^{\lambda_4 t}[/tex] but I only have two initials equations for each variable:
[tex]x(0) = x_i \quad and \quad x'(0) = 0[/tex]
so I have four variables and two equations which is not enough for me to find the coefficients

Last edited:
Jwen556 said:
Assuming solution is [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex] I get four lambdas so my solution is [tex]
x = c_1e^{\lambda_1 t} + c_2e^{\lambda_2 t} + c_3e^{\lambda_3 t} + c_4e^{\lambda_4 t}[/tex] but I only have two initials equations for each variable:
[tex]x(0) = x_i \quad and \quad x'(0) = 0[/tex]
so I have four variables and two equations which is not enough for me to find the coefficients
There are two masses. The motions of each are controlled by the same four unknowns. For each mass you have an initial position and an initial velocity: four equations.

The coefficients on each exponent are not necessarily the same for [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] right?

Last edited:
Jwen556 said:
The coefficients on each exponent are not necessarily the same for [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] right?
Right, but they must be related. What happens if you substitute your generic x1 solution back into the original two differential equations?

Related to 3 Springs and 2 Mass System in a line

What is a 3 springs and 2 mass system in a line?

A 3 springs and 2 mass system in a line is a physical system that consists of three springs and two masses arranged in a straight line. The masses are connected by the springs, and the system is free to move horizontally. This system is often used in physics experiments to study oscillations and vibrations.

How does the system behave?

The behavior of the system is determined by the properties of the masses and springs. The masses will oscillate back and forth between the springs, while the springs will stretch and compress. The motion of the masses will depend on the initial conditions and external forces acting on the system.

What factors affect the motion of the system?

The motion of the system is influenced by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the spring constants of the springs, the initial displacement and velocity of the masses, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

What is the equation of motion for this system?

The equation of motion for a 3 springs and 2 mass system in a line can be described by a set of coupled differential equations, known as the spring-mass system equations. These equations take into account the masses, spring constants, and external forces to determine the position and velocity of the masses at any given time.

What is the significance of studying this system?

The 3 springs and 2 mass system in a line is a simplified model of many real-life systems, such as a car suspension or a building during an earthquake. By studying this system, scientists can gain a better understanding of oscillations and vibrations and how they can be controlled and minimized in real-world applications.